• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Insert a Page Break in a Numbered List in InDesign?

Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried placing the cursor at the end of one list item or at the beginning of the next list item and: 

Type > Insert Break Character > Page Break

But both result in a number with no text.

I know I can just enter line break after the last list item that I want on the page until the other one gets pushed to the next page, but why doesn't just inserting a page break work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because that page break is a paragraph, and that paragraph has numbering applied. Add the break at the end of the last paragraph you want on that page.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 3.06.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to what Scott has said, the last paragraph you want on the previous page ends with a paragraph return. Let's say we want the second page to start with number 7.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 7.27.31 PM.png

If you place the cursor at the end of paragraph 6 and insert a page break, the paragraph return will go along to the next page, and that's what gives you the extra blank number 7 on the second page.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 7.18.48 PM.png

If you place the cursor at the beginning of paragraph 7 and insert the page break, the paragraph return at the end of paragraph 6 will give you the blank number 7 on the first page.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 7.19.51 PM.png

In either case, you are using two paragraph breaks (a regular one, and a page break), and that's why you are getting an extra numbered line. Instead of just placing the cursor at the end of paragraph 6, double-click to select the paragraph return itself…

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 7.20.35 PM.png

and replace it with the page break.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 7.20.46 PM.png

That way, you only have one type of break between those two paragraphs, and no extra numbered line. Showing the hidden characters (bottom of the Type menu) will help you be sure you have selected the paragraph return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend to avoid manual page breaks. Why do you need them?

All desired break options can be set up via paragraph styles. This would help you to use any workaround here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Willi. I'd control that using the keep options. Telling the paragraph to start in the next column or frame. Even if you do this as an override, it's much better than a manual page break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines