• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Objects in a placed indesign file extremely pixelated when exporting to interactive PDF

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am new to the world forums so bare with me if I am missing information. I have been looking online to find an answer but no one seems to be having the exact problem I am and all my troubleshooting so far as got me nowhere. My issue is when I am exporting an interactive PDF from indesign the images that I have embedded in an illustrator file that I have then placed in Indesign are coming out pixelated and unreadable, way beyond the point of the original. One of my clients said she couldn't even see anything in the effected area. It is as if Indesign is losing that information upon export of the interactive, works fine when exporting to print.

I have tried updating both illustrator and indesign and I have reset the preferences in Indeisgn. I have even tried saving my illustrator as a PDF and placing that in Indesign and it still keeps happening.

Any information, advice or any troubleshooting methods would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you embed the photo elements in Illustrator or are they just linked? If just linked, that's a problem because you are asking InDesign to find the Illustrator file AND also find illustrator's links, which it can't do. So first option, embed the links into Illustrator.

let's start there. Let us know what happens

Michael Riordan

Owner/Adobe Certified Instructor

Digital DesignLab

Oak Park, IL

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you place an Illustrator file, you are placing a PDF so linked or unliked in AI is meaningless. The only time that would come into play is if you were packaging the InDesign file.

It might help to see some screenshots. But check to see if the AI link is up to date. If it’s modified or missing that would cause this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, I photo elements are embedded in the illustrator file. I am shrinking them down to much smaller then their original size within that file, I don't know if that would have anything to do with it, just thought it might be relevant at some point. When I am viewing the indesign file I have even changed my display performance to high quality to see how it looks at that point on screen and the images are clear but then as soon as I export to an interactive PDF they are this unreadable blur. Why when I export to print does it work but the interactive is struggling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your compression settings when exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually would save them as 144 ppi and I have tried all the compression options and nothing seems to work. I wondering what I am missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let’s see some screenshots of:

1. The InDesign file at 100% with high quality display

2. The PDF at 100%

3. The Illustrator file at 100%

Also, please open the Illustrator file in Acrobat (yes, you can do that) and see how it looks there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great idea to change your image size in Photoashop - if it's possible.

Scaling down decrease numer of pixels and this is reason your image is blurry.

You can also try to improve images quality during PDF export from InDesign - this way i think you export only preview of your scaled picture

Pawelscreen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is virtually no difference between scaling down in Photoshop and scaling down in InDesign unless you're outputting to a very high resolution device.

And I have no idea what you're referring to in that last sentence but preview quality in InDesign has nothing to do with output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines