• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nik Efex no longer working in Lightroom CC (2015.8)

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help? I have been using Nik Efex software via Adobe Lightroom for years but it no longer works with the latest Adobe Lightroom CC (2015.8). I right click on an image, select edit in > Silver Efex (but it could be any of the Nik Collection) and it says "Preparing file for editing". It then pauses for a minute or two and then fails - giving me this message:

Screenshot 2016-12-17 10.25.36.png

What can be done to correct this issue? I love using Nik Efex and need to get them working again. Help would be really appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text formatting in that error message is very bad. This means you either have some bad characters in the volume and path names, or you blocked out some text for privacy issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder name included location and event details which are not relevant to my post.

Do you have any ideas about this issue? I'm having a hard time finding answers anywhere on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works on WIndows 7 with CC 2015.8. What OS version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies.

I am using Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2. It is a brand new 2016 Macbook Pro. I recently migrated my data, programs, etc and have not used Nik Efex software/plugins since moving to the new machine (I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Nik software but the issue remains).

I am looking at the External Editing tab but don't see where it specifies that the TIFF file will be saved. Here is a screen shot of it, in case it helps (showing Color Efex but I have the same issue with other Nik Collection programs):

Screenshot 2016-12-18 22.06.43.png

I checked the export dialog. Files export to my internal hard drive and that works fine.

I checked the permissions for the external drive where the file is located, and it says read and write for all three levels:

Screenshot 2016-12-18 22.04.51.png.

I hope this helps narrow down what the issue is! Thanks for your continued assistance folks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add your username to the list and give it Read & Write permissions.

By default the Everyone group is limited even with Read & Write permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Just Shoot Me​. I made the change as you recommended. (I'll try to do this for all my many external drives!)

Do I need to reboot, or restart the Adobe software or anything? I tried to Edit In > Nik SIlver Efex after making the change and I still get the error message that Lightroom was ..."unable to prepare the file... It will not be opened".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that file open in PS? Edit In > PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, fortunately selecting Edit > PS does work. Opens it in PS CC 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working fine here on a Win 7 Pro system.

Check the folder destination where the resulting TIFF file will be saved (In the External Editing tab of the preferences and also look at the Export dialog window) for the proper permissions.

Also check the format and permissions of the drive the image is stored on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines