• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create an interactive pdf with check boxes/buttons

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I need to create an interactive PDF with check boxes and buttons that would change visibility of the layers. The concept is to make dynamic scheme, where the user can choose options from the check boxes and the picture will change accordingly to his needs. The scheme before was drawn in Autocad program and made with blocks( each block has his own layer). After dwg drawing was printed in PDF with layers. So when I import pdf into Indesign I see that one pdf with all layers(Object layers). The question in that, is it possible to transfer all that layers from PDF to Indesign layers, to change visibility after for that layers with check boxes?

Thanks a lot for the answers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a useful blog and discussion about issues with Interactive PDFs here: It's okay to say no to interactive PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Derek.

Thank you for the answer, but I did not find that blog very useful for me. Still want to make an interactive pdf, because I saw how it was done and for me was very useful and I think that for the last user it will be very helpful also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know which devices the end-user will be using to access your Interactive PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only PC(on Windows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth you having a look at this new online video tutorial which looks at the various interactive document options:

InDesign CC: Interactive Document Fundamentals You can get a 10-day free trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Derek. Will try to look that one.

But one questions disturbs me the most- is it possible somehow  to transfer automatically "Object layers" from pdf to Indesing layers or it should be done manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure - manually

Maybe script?

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not really good at scripts, Pawel. But is it possible to write such script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You cannot do this automatically. You’d need to place the PDF multiple times displaying each layer and when you export you’d also have those layers available to turn on and off manually.

What is the end result supposed to be? Why does this have to be a PDF?

Finally, everything you need can and should be done in Acrobat since you’re starting with the PDF you want to have interactivity in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob. Thanks for the answer. Now not very sure that I understand correct, but with Indesign there is a possibility to make all layers as sublayers for one layer. So they will be not visible and all all control for that layers will be provided with checkboxes/buttons. I saw such dynamic pdf-s. There are only 3  layers- 2 were done for buttons and one layer was for the scheme, under which were 14 sublayers, which are not visible in final pdf.

I am not so good in scripting, but may be is possible to make such script that will be hiding one by one "Object layers" and saving them with the same name in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You may try the trial version of PDF2ID plugin : PDF2ID - PDF to InDesign, How to convert PDF to InDesign, Convert PDF to InDesign

Never used it, dunno if it keeps layers or not... or if it's efficient...

It's easy (but may be long) to import acrobat layers into INDD, but you won't have any ability to edit, select objects or anything else than... seeing (or not) a layer... Wouldn't that be a problem in your case?

There is a lack of information about what you're trying to achieve, so it's hard to give advises...

but Acrobat Pro seems to be the app you need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Vinny. Thanks for the answer. Yes I understand what you are meaning, but it is a bit another thing. I have a scheme where are different devices, each device is a block with his own layer. Layers are more than 30 at the moment and after will be more. The main though is to hide all that layers to one( may be with sublayers that after export will be not visible?) and their visibility controlled by buttons.

I have seen also that PDF2ID program, but did not tried yet. All an all I do not need to edit the layers after, just need to change visibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sponge...

Please note there is no such thing as sublayer in InDesign.

I think screenshots might help to understand what you are up to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Vinny. May be I am naming it wrong. Find some information from that sites. Sorr, maybe providing information not so exactly.

Creating Multi-object Buttons in Adobe InDesign | Graphics.com

InDesign CS5 New Feature: Layers & Sublayers | Tiny Tutorials' Adobe Classroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to do this with an interactive PDF is turn every layer into an individual button and then use show/hide for each of them. This is an insane use of interactive PDF but can be done.

There is simply no good way to do this with layers and as already pointed out there is no such thing as a sublayer in InDesign. Layers contain objects and nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thank you Bob. But how would you do such things, with Acrobat Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about experimenting with Publish Online or maybe in5 Ajar Productions: in5 - Home ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really understood what for to use that Publish Online. Paid service and still before you need to create project in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Publish Online is ​not a paid service. ​It's included in your Creative Cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it in InDesign or Acrobat Pro. You seem to want the layers to be hidden from any possible use, though. I don't think that's possible but you can certainly pop over to the Acrobat forum and see if it can be done with some javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

There are several ways to achieve that. Using Acrobat Pro is one of them, as it has been said.

Now, if you want to use INDD only, it's gonna be a bit tricky, but doable.

First of all, forget about layers. All you need are elements, set up as buttons.

Basically, to create some sort of toggle button, you need 3 buttons:

One will show the illustration and the "hide" button:

bouton1.jpg

The second one will hide the illustration and show back the first button.

Its initial view must be set up as "invisible":

It will be placed exactly on top of the "show" button

hide.jpg

Finally, the illustration button have no action, but must be set up as "invisible":

You'll understand that placing the different illustrations is going to be tricky. But let's assume it's no problem for you:

illu.jpg

Final result:

result.jpg

I just want to add one thing:

Good luck ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Vinny for the information. Will try to make in your way also.

I will also try another things. If I come out with a good idea or method, I will write here back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really want to use InDesign?

You can add buttons and check boxes using Acrobat. This way you ahve no problems with layers and it works fine.

Just try to use Acrobat Pro

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines