• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with Missing Files in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bit complex but i am looking for help on how to link a missing composision
So let me begin with i created a character in photoshop with many layers and so in turn a good amount of folders
Knowing that this will in turn make composisions in after effects to keep my work nice and tidy
The problem begins when my Tutor wants to get the brief in 1x PSD file

to help with the many composisions i also made many PSD files with each individual Body part
and so the problem starts when i want to put them all in one PSD
I am well aware that when a layer or photo goes missing (changes location or gets renamed) the error is shown and that file with get the color bar treatment
and so right clicking it and replacing it is quite easy
Now the trouble i am having is no matter what i do A composision doesnt go missing
So the main file that i created to house everything doesnt wanna be replaced
which is a pretty big issue cos what i was thinking of doing is making the system think i dont have the master comp (the big psd) and link it to one that has all off them
plus the big PSD there for finding all the missing files at once
But since a composision cant go missing (well at least with the ways i tried, changing name/ moving it ) ( and by not got missing i mean it gets the treatment of colour bars but in the individual files (layers) and not on the comp it self)
So therefore not letting me link it to the new one, I have tried googling and researching this and as it seems no one really has had this problem
As a last resort I will slit the indevidual files and link them like that
but i was wondering if anyone here has a clue of what i can do
and if the answer is really obvious sorry to waste your time.
Must appreciated though.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016
and then lastly document size.

choose "Layer Size" when you import/replace a layer instead of "Document Size"

it's the equivalent of importing a multilayered PSD file with "retain layer sizes"

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE doesn't care whether a bunch of PSD layers is from one file or multiple ones. You have to replace them manually. This is simply a limitation of the process and the file format. Of course there could be scripts out there that facilitate the process in some way...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to help with the many composisions i also made many PSD files with each individual Body part

this is not a good idea to have different PSD for every part. the whole point of working in layers is that you can have a mulit-layered file and import it to Ae with having the different layers as separate layers (because you import it as a composition). if you are making different characters then making a different psd for each is probably a good idea.

So the main file that i created to house everything doesnt wanna be replaced

if you changed the file name on any mulit-layered PSD file, you will need to manually replace each layer or try and use a script. try this script and see if it solves your problem: Batch Search-n-Replace Paths - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

here's a thread with a similar issue but he had to just replace the name of an already imported mulit-layered psd file with a description of the process: Re: Reconnecting a renamed PSD

maybe manually is the only way to go here, but hey - you learned a valuable lesson!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks alot for that!
really helpfull and nice reading your reply learnt alot from it,
But as its with most things another problem has come up
For reasons I dont quite understand, the files that are replaced
are being moved around for no reason, (as in the posission of the layer is being thrown about) the key frames all stay intact and the movement is mostly fine (apart from the puppet pins which for some reason half have detached and are moving nothing and the other half are working fine but moving the layer in the wrong place)
This has happened to all the footage I replaced from the Master PSD file.
So it the problem in the fact that i am taking these from a new PSD file (its the same one as before but compact, same size, same files, just different name, and added layers)
or is it after effects's problem
As in if replaced them in the wrong way which i dont think so (Just incase though (clicks on missing layer replace footage-> clicks PSD->choose layer->Merge layer styles into Footage (i did try ignore layer styles and did nothing different ) and then lastly document size.
Is there a way to fix this or do i have to manualy go throught layer layer and move them to the right place, and what about the puppet pins?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and then lastly document size.

choose "Layer Size" when you import/replace a layer instead of "Document Size"

it's the equivalent of importing a multilayered PSD file with "retain layer sizes"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much dude
Your such a life saver
I feel like an idiot for not thinking about that but man you saved my life.
Have a lovely Christmas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! we learn all the time and we're only idiots if we think we know everything there is to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines