• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbers being truncated by Excel when exporting from Acrobat DC

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting a PDF from Acrobat DC to Excel, the 22-digit numbers in the PDF are being 'truncated' by Excel.  For example: 0015101820990791961357 in the original PDF is being changed to 0015101820990792000000 in Excel.  I know this has to do with Excel's coding; it sees strings of numbers *as* numbers, and changes the cell format to be a number... and Excel can only handle 15 significant digits, rounding off the 16th and changing the remaining digits to 0's.  If the cell is converted to a text format prior to entering in the data, then it will hold the full number as it is entered.  The problem here is there is no way to format the cells before the imported information gets in there when you export from Adobe Acrobat DC.

Interestingly, this exporting worked perfectly fine from Adobe Acrobat XI Pro... but after the upgrade to DC, that's when it stopped working.  I'm not sure if something changed in the way that Acrobat exports the text from the original PDF... in such a way that Excel decides it is looking at a number and automatically changes the format of the cell.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening after upgrading to DC?  Does DC have any special settings that I'm not seeing related to how data is exported and how numbers/text should be handled?  Has anyone run into this same issue before?

Thanks in advance!

The "relevant" stuff:

Windows 7 x64

Adobe Acrobat DC

Microsoft Office 2010

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was able to resolve the truncating issue by uninstalling and re-installing Adobe Acrobat DC -- however now we have a new error.

When exporting to Excel Workbook (or XML Spreadsheet), the numbers show correctly, but all of the information is in one column.  i.e. 55001  0015101820990791961357    $dollar amount      6758    etc   (all in the same column... just one long text input)

as opposed to:

Column A         Column B                                  Column C

55001              0015101820990791961357        $dollar amount       etc.

I'm not seeing any sort of settings that might control this... but any insight on this issue would be greatly apprciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BLanning,

We apologize for the issue you are facing.

Would request you to send the file @ agarwala@adobe.com to investigate the exact issue.

Thanks,

Girija

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have a ticket open, and as far as I know, it has been escalated to Senior Tech Support.

I was able to workaround the single-column issue using Excel's 'Text-to-Columns' command, but there is a conversion issue from Acrobat DC to Excel, causing some of the information to be merged into the same line, i.e.:

CCS

gets converted to:

1c2c3s45

The letters from the 2nd line will end up mixed in with the numbers (or vise versa) from the 1st line, and they will appear as sub-script.  This causes all of the data after that 'CCS' location to be jumbled up and in the wrong location, and then Excel has no idea where to put it, so every new piece of text gets placed on its own column, i.e.

12345 CCS      $12.00      12345     TEXT     DIR     1234

becomes:

CCS

$12.00

TEXT

DIR

So, to re-organize, one would have to move each cell very carefully to its corresponding line, checking it against the original PDF to make sure it goes into the right place.  Sort of defeats the purpose of trying to convert it to Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sent you a private message.

Please go through it once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied to your private message with the Adobe case number related to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@girijaAgarwal  I got the same issue when converting my pdf to xls!
Any viable solution ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 🙂

Just coming across this problem now has anyone found a solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2023 Sep 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello! I'm also facing this issue and would love to know if there's a solution 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines