• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to work with InDesign files stored on local server?

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a local network - 1 windows pc as server (Windows Server 2012 R2) and 7 mac pros (OS X El Capitan 10.11.6).

We are trying to work over our local network with InDesign (CC 2017) files stored on our server while disabling Internet access for the Macs - but InDesign keeps crashing every time.

Is there a way to work through the server while not allowing the Macs access to the Internet? It seems that things go smoothly when Internet access is allowed, but not when access (to the Internet, not the local network of course) is disabled.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe strongly advise against working from and saving to a network. You can expect problems and corruption do if you MUST do this be sure you also have a backup strategy that captures ALL generations of a file and a fast and effective method for your end users to restore from any version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be no serious issues working on a stable network. Many workflows, including InCopy, require it.

I’d be looking elsewhere for the problems but we don’t have nearly enough information.

I would start with a crash report posted to pastebin.com with a link provided here.

DO NOT POST THE CRASH REPORT HERE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Bob. Although it is true that Adobe doesn't officially support working off of a server, I feel like it's there way of avoiding trying to troubleshoot your server. That being said, I would try performing the exact same thing that you are trying on a local hard drive to rule out the server. If you have no issues working locally, you've narrowed the problem down to a server issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines