• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help. I converted to DNG and I need to load a catalog that has the files is RAW

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Hope you guys can help. First time on the forum too. And sorry if this has already been asked. I searched but didn't find.

So I photographed a wedding as a second shooter. The main photographer took my files and did the editing on his end to keep the look consistent. I took my files and archived them on my end in my Lightroom catalog and as part of my regular system maintenance, accidentally converted the raw files to DNG.

Now the main photographer has exported the catalog file to me but I can't apply the Lightroom editing changes on my system since my files are now all DNG files and the catalog thinks they are raw. I can do it manually, but here are thousands of files. Is there's a way? Please help!

(worst case I can get him to export me the files again but I'm hoping i can get it fixed without this)

Thanks.

-Josh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Beardsworth has a plug-in that will do this job. (Pay to use full features)

Worth buying to save much time.

Syncomatic - Sync files with same name or time

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure that plug-in above will work in this case. Do you have the RAW file still on the card or cards from the camera?

Did you make a backup of the RAW files before you imported into LR and converted them to DNG?

If neither above then I think you are SOL.

Or you could ask the other photographer to send, give, you back the RAW files he has.

But in the end since you were the second photographer you really don't need the images for the client or to process them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Shoot Me wrote:

I'm not sure that plug-in above will work in this case.

Maybe try the plugin before making such a comment?

Yes, Syncomatic will do the job. The key is to import the DNGs into the same catalogue as the raw files, and the plugin can then copy Lr adjustment and metadata from raws to DNGs with matching names. Providing the raws are recorded in the catalogue, it doesn't matter to Syncomatic if the actual raw files are missing.

The trial is fully featured. It just limits you to 10 photos each time you run it. Buying it means you can sync thousands of files in one go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did I say for a fact that it would not work? I said "I'm not sure that plug in above will work in this case".

So there was nothing wrong with the comment I made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just Shoot Me wrote:

So there was nothing wrong with the comment I made.

Other that implying you knew something about the plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a catalog where you import the RAW photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I don't have the raw files anymore. I cleared my card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to say, this was a while ago and I have deleted the raw files. So all I have left are the dng files that are converted from raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines