Exit

Intel Core i5 for XAVC-S?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all - the Premiere Elements 15 system requirements say:

Intel Core i7 required for XAVC-S

Does this mean that with the following Core i5 I will just be slow or that it will not process?

Intel Core i5-6402P

16Gb DDR4 @ 2133MHz

250Gb SSD

Win10 Home

I don't understand why a lack of hyperthreading would kill this dead rather than just making it run slower... and what does that mean as a requirement anyway? Required to read mp4? Required to output in mp4?

I'd appreciate a quick reply as I still have the chance to change the system spec if I act quickly. Thank you so much!

-Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding, which is not always reliable, is that XAVC-S is related to and needed for 4K editing.  I don't think it comes into the workflow with 1080p.

I had an i5 computer like that until I broke it!  It worked well enough for 1080p  It did not work at all well with 4K.   4K needs an i7, plenty of RAM and a fast disk.   I doubt that any editing system for 4K would work well without a relatively speedy i7.

Good luck!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill - good to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always recommend that people use the excellent benchmark tests at PassMark to determine the power of their processor.

In my books, I recommend a rating of 8000 or higher for editing 4k video. Your processor rates 7600, so you should be in pretty good shape for basic editing with 4K -- but margin for more intensive editing of larger 4K projects.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Steve - the CPU is clocked from 2.8GHz to 3.4GHz so I assume it'll end up over that threshold. Thanks for your help with this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines