• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move layer object

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I move an object (in InDesign CC 2017.0) if the palette does not show the selected object. The only way I can do this is by copying and pasting the object into the active layer?

I use the OS Sierra 10.12.2 and Monitor AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The normal way to move an object from one layer to another is to drag its dot up or down within the Layers panel—you will have to expand the layers to see all of the elements on that spread to find the correct dot. In the image on the left the dot for the selected image is missing, I needed to expand that section to see it.

InDesign CCss_007.pngInDesign CCss_008.png

I have seen in past threads that the dots go missing. If that's the case, delete your preferences.
Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you BarbBinder. This is exactly what happens: the point does not appear on the pallet and I have already deleted preferences, but this has not changed the situation. Thank you anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also delete the InDesign caches file. Interface problems can be cache related and trashing prefs doesn't always work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give us a screenshot of your situation?

Use the "Insert Image" function of the forum software for sharing:

AdobeForum-HowToPostScreenCapture.png

Select the object while the Layers panel is open, the layers are expanded, nested objects like groups are expanded.

Hidden characters and frame edges should show.

There are two or three situations where you cannot move an object on the spread to a different layer.
But at least you should see a tiny dot—smaller than the one Barb presented in her screenshot—in the opened layers panel.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, follow the screenshots for your enjoyment. I always build the files with layers, but since I did the last update, the command has this problem.

Captura de Tela 2016-12-21 às 22.39.45.png

Captura de Tela 2016-12-21 às 22.44.15.png

I've checked Adobe for help, but support informed me that there may be a problem with the display incompatibility. I think this is unlikely, because when copying (from a layer) and paste (on another layer) I can reposition the object.

Regards,

Marcio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Marcio,

thank you for the screenshot.

Will the situation change, if you save that document to IDML and open the IDML file?

Important note:

As I can see from the title bar you opened a legacy document in InDesign CC 2017, because "[Converted]" is added to the title.

Do not overwrite the orginal file by saving the opened one.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, rob day. There were two different techniques in the link I gave you—did you try both, márciop16579625?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines