Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Simple text frame problem.

Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue pops up sometimes when I'm working in CS6 Indesign. I format manuals into a two-column layout. Most of my type is threaded.

Occasionally, then I try to resize a frame of threaded text it will just move up or down but not resize. Other frames in the thread work normally. If I try to resize the height of the text frame with the toolbar, it just reverts to its original size.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Select a troublesome frame and look at all of the tabs in Text Frame Options. Do you see anything there?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is odd. Is it just in that one file, or does this happen on multiple files?

One file: Troubleshooting 101: Export to .idml or .inx to clear file corruption

Multiple files: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in one file every so often. It does other strange things. For example, the one I am working on now has a thread of about ten short paragraphs. I break the thread up - one paragraph frame, then a graphic box (not anchored or attached to the frame), then a frame of three paragraphs, and another graphic... Those are fine. But when I try to add the rest of the paragraphs after the second graphic, that frame won't resize.

I tried to copy/paste all the text into a new frame and then that entire frame of paragraphs won't resize. I brought the text over out of an older revision of my manual, where it worked fine and in this publication it won't resize. Text that works fine on the page before becomes corrupted when I place it on this page .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the Troubleshooting 101 export to .idml. That seems to have fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I guess it didn't after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select a troublesome frame and look at all of the tabs in Text Frame Options. Do you see anything there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You found the problem. The Auto-Size had gotten set to Height Only somehow. I've turned it off and all is good. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's the setting I was wondering about, Charlotte, but then I wondered how that happened on just some of the threaded frames!?!

It may be set as a default. To check and to fix it, make sure no frames are selected, then go back into Text Frame Options and confirm it is off for all new text frames in the current document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines