• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How would I put clouds behind certain areas of my footage?

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this footage and I want to make it look like the plane is actually flying in the air. There are a few windows and a windshield that I want to put a sky and clouds behind. (I have footage of the clouds).

Question is, how would I put it behind only those areas? I masked the windows out, but I'm not sure how to get the clouds to go behind only the windows.

Any help would be appreciated.

fb8Nfjf.jpg

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your masked video is layer 2 and your clouds video is layer 1 then you will only see the clouds through the windows.

keyframe the position of the clouds to move, enable time remapping and use the LoopOut expression to loop the cloud movement. Due to masking you should perceive the loop as seamless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I duplicated the airplane footage and masked out everything. However, when I put the cloud layer on, this happens.

2016-12-21 17_11_44-Adobe After Effects - The Move.aep _.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is probably a bit odd with how you are creating your masks. If you can't share your project file for one of us to poke through, could you at least show a bit more of what's happening with your layer's effects, masks, etc.? Make the composition panel smaller, expand the timeline panel, and expand the properties of the layers so we can see more of what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this helps.

Here's a short video of my timeline.

video - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly apologies, late at night here. got my layers reversed

Masked airplane.mp4 should be layer 1

Clouds Layer 2

It looks layer your airplane windows are showing above the clouds eg

airplane.mp4 masked (windows only)

clouds video

airplane.mp4 unmasked

You only need the top two layers

Invert the Masks (checkboxes) and you should have airplane.mp4 without the windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do that and invert the masks, the clouds are under the airplane, and isn't visible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryan,

Try this:

Invert the first mask ONLY

Set the remaining mask modes to Subtract

Here are two solid layers  magenta (masked) above blue -- check the mask modes and inversion settings

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 22.53.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, thanks!

When the chat bubbles are displayed near the windows, they overlap the masks like this,

2016-12-21 17_56_41-Adobe After Effects - The Move.aep _.jpg

Any advice on how to fix that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chat bubbles on separate layer above the masked airplane layer or are they burnt in to video?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi RyanB,

Was your question answered here on the thread? If so, please mark that one as the "Correct Answer" by clicking the same in the lower left corner of that post.

Thanks!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines