• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you adjust paragraph spacing on a baseline grid?

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to cut down the amount of space between paragraphs within one text box, or adjust the setting for when you press enter to make the space smaller within paragraphs. I'm trying to align some text to a baseline grid and would like to cut it down by a line or two. In the image, it's the space between the two sections under "Work Experience" that I'm trying to decrease. Also, is there a way to make this change apply to only one paragraph?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 3.27.32 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part 1 - are you using Paragraph and Character Styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I was trying to but couldn't figure it out. I just adjusted everything and have been copying the same text box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe first of all turn off the baseline grid and deal with the right hand column. You need to decide on the units and get some structure. For example, the text might be 12pt on 14pt with 7pt for Paragraph spaces with headings say 14pt. Do you see how this gives a rhythm to the element. You can set up a Paragraph style for the basic text to include space after (for the 7pt paragraph space).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baseline grids are awesome in that they align everything to the grid. And they can be a nightmare because they align everything to the grid.

If your body text is, say 10/14, the baseline grid should be set to 14 pts to match the body text leading. If you add even one point (minuscule!) of spacing after, the text hops down 14 pts to the next grid line. Spacing is always added in integral multiples of the grid value, in my example 14, 28, 42, etc. When you need to add flexibility into the spacing, it is time to take that element off the grid.

In the first example, in the main story the body text and subheads are on the grid. Even though the space above is defined as 0p9, they pop down one entire grid line (14 pts).

InDesign CCss_003.png

In this example, the subheads are off the grid and adhere to the specified spacing value.

InDesign CCss_002.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The baseline grid facility is a wonderful feature, as detailed by BarbBinder above, but you need to sort out the arithmetic first – define the type size and leading and paragraph spacing you are going to use for text and headings. You also need to sort out the hierarchy of the headings, which are confusing. For example, in the left hand column you have both lower-case italic and capital italic headings. I think you should simplify the whole design which, at the moment, is a bit of a mess!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines