• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Threaded text via Excel spreadsheet?

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! So, I am total novice when it comes to InDesign, as generally speaking my job only requires me to use Illustrator and Photoshop. However, I have been tasked with setting up 100 personalised ID cards for a conference, each with multiple fields. All I have is a spreadsheet with the relevant text for each delegate in each cell, with columns for the different fields.

Now, I had originally planned on setting it up in Illustrator (not ideal, I know, but it’s the software I’m most familiar with by some distance) by creating a template with threaded text boxes, then copying and pasting the relevant columns from the spreadsheet. However. I quickly hit the snag that I can’t vertically centre the text in the text boxes.

I’m therefore trying to do the same thing in InDesign, but the problem I’m now facing is that in some cases the text in a particular field will need to go onto two lines, whereas on others it will fit comfortably on one line. If I make the text boxes high enough to accommodate two lines it will automatically fill with two cells worth of data when the text is short enough to do so.

Is there a simpler/cleverer way to do this that links each text box to a single cell AND ensures that the contents can be centred both horizontally and vertically to keep the spacing even across all the cards, regardless of how many lines are used to complete a particular field?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Why not use data merge?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use data merge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fantastic! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines