Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrating Lightroom desktop to laptop

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have got Lightroom version 3 on a desktop pc running windows xp. I also have a laptop which is running windows 10 and I have adobe cc for photographers on it(Lightroom and Photoshop)

The folder structures are different on each machine. So, I was wondering how I can successfully migrate from one machine to another. As at the moment I cannot see how I can get the old folder structure and catalog onto the new one preserving all the edit details. Any help appreciated. thanks.

Gary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Hi Gary

1. Copy your named catalog from the My Pictures folder on XP into the Pictures folder on the Laptop – it’s the file ending .lrcat The previews may be a large file so copying is optional.
  2. Copy your image files to the laptop or preferred location (some people keep all images on a connected external drive)
  3. Go to Pictures and double click on the catalog file you copied and that will launch Lightroom
  4. All the folders will have question marks so you simply re-connect and LR automatically updates the l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont see the option 'Copy New Photos To A New Location And Import' when I follow the instructions for

Import photos from a different Lightroom catalog.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary

1. Copy your named catalog from the My Pictures folder on XP into the Pictures folder on the Laptop – it’s the file ending .lrcat The previews may be a large file so copying is optional.
  2. Copy your image files to the laptop or preferred location (some people keep all images on a connected external drive)
  3. Go to Pictures and double click on the catalog file you copied and that will launch Lightroom
  4. All the folders will have question marks so you simply re-connect and LR automatically updates the links.
  5. You do that by right-clicking on a folder name (or parent folder) and choosing find missing folder – then navigate to where the images are now stored and select the folder.

It is usually straightforward but let us know if you need more help. See if this link and video tutorial helps:

Move LR to a New Computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your replies. That has explained in it in a straightforward way. I will be doing the upgrade shortly and will get back if there are any more questions. Thanks. Gary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines