• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have Indsign CS6 version 8, i am creating document for tamil, When i copy and paste the text from Word to indesign it is not exactly same as the word document, text read from right to left

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amy_Wong

have Indsign CS6 version 8, i am creating document  for tamil, When i copy and paste the text from Word to indesign it is not exactly same as the word document, text read from right to left.  in between characters missing boxes are appearing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check if the font you are using in InDesign supports tamil.

The boxes between characters do mean that the used font doesn't contain the needed symbol.

Maybe the Google Noto Font or Arial (Unicode) support your desired language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not only the font, it is the composer and the reading direction too. If that is not installed everything is screwed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats completly right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am surprised that I have word ready composer , not helping me and text engine is not enabled, no idea how can I create document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need those plugins which enable you to work with these functions in InDesign.

Do you have a CC subscription?

Yes, it is ok, download a version which supports this language and install it. Those plugins will be added to your installation.

No, you are out of luck. You will have upgrade to a CC subscription as CS6 is at the End of Life and you will not get any add ons outside the Creative Cloud anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have cc subscription kindly let me know what I have to do to get the subscription and what is the cost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Indesign CS6 the ME version (Middle East). If so, you should be able to change the text direction in the paragraph style panel. What font are you using in Indesign (check the font used in Word). Is it the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the it is. I am using font TSC_Janani-normal.ttf, text is not taking any other font

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with that font. Is it Unicode? Where did you get it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi TSC is a very old encoding method of Creating Tamil font and is not a unicode font. You want to use unicode font you convert the text through any converter such as convert.tamilsg.com (tscii to unicode) then you can use latha or vijaya or Adobe tamil fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean with "text engine is not enabled"?

I did layouts with rtl languages on CS6 without of any additional plugins. But i don't have any experience with tamil.

Maybe helbful as the topic is about rtl-languages: Arabic and Hebrew support in Adobe Creative Suite CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need an InDesign version which is supporting the specific language features and a font which includes all glyphs of that language.

If you have a CS6 from the Creative Cloud subscription you can install additionally any other language form of InDesign without additional cost.

If you have only the CS6 permanent version you are out of luck or you have to find some 3rd party plugins for world support, but this will be difficult as CS6 is beyond End Of Lif, EOL, several Years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines