• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird text editing bugs

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every once in a while InDesign reacts strangely (or not at all) when I try to edit some text I’ve marked. Tabbing through the panel’s fields, the settings don’t take effect or – even more annoying – pressing the return key after entering a value (like font size) deletes the marked text.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

And disable Type Contextual Controls in Preferences > Advanced Type:

IN Prefs 2017.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017 on a Mac running Sierra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known bug. Turn on the application frame and read through the other threads on this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And disable Type Contextual Controls in Preferences > Advanced Type:

IN Prefs 2017.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refresh my memory, Barb. Is this an and/or situation or do you need to do both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great question, Bob. I was't aware of the need to turn on the application frame. Because I teach so many Windows students, I keep it on all the time so it hasn't come up for me at all—either in class or during layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a Mac-only bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching on the bulky app frame and disabling features? Sounds a bit like car that’s only running with open windows and the radio turned off ... thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You've got the best possible workaround in a meantime, from the users like you.

While Adobe is still working on an actual solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW:

Some people complain they still have issues even with app frame ON. Some not. Known places bug affects are: The Paragraph Panel, the Control Panel and the Color Panel. Also one can encounter issues working with tabs in text. Disabling Type Contextual Controls usually helps anyway.

That said, it's possibly OR situation, but to be on a safe side you better treat it as AND.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to add that mid-layout this week with textual controls off and the application frame on, I crashed so many times in a row, I had to return to 2015 to finish the job. I was so happy to be able to just open the 2017 file in 2015, wait 45 seconds for the conversion and pick up where I left off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder wrote:

crashed so many times in a row

Huh... that's why I still stick with CS6 for 'real' jobs. Not so eager for adventures anymore. Getting older...

BobLevine

It's definitely so. Couldn't recreate it by any means on my CC2017 'test' copy on Win10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines