• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wingdings 2 and 3 converting to Wingdings OTF when I package file and fonts not found when opening that file

Contributor ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book where I used Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3 (TT fonts) in a table that uses lots of symbols. When I packaged the file it converted them all to Wingdings OTF and of course I get font not found.  I can't do a global change as some are WD2 and some are WD3.  I even tried saving the final DRAFT into the packaged folder as the final file and it still changed them.  I can save all day long in the main job folder and they stay WD2 and WD3.  These folders are all on my hard drive so it's not like I'm saving to a computer that doesn't have the WD2 and WD3 fonts loaded.  How can I get them to remain WD2 and WD3 in the final packaged print file?

InDesign CC 2017 in Windows 7 Pro

Thanks,

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Win7, ID 8.1 (CS6). Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3 - both version 1.55. Screenshots would be identical to those of Ellis home, no need to post. Everything's fine before and after packaging, fonts copied and recognized properly.

Likely it's not a common bug, something's wrong on your side.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but there's no way that packaging an InDesign file could convert your fonts from TrueType to OpenType. It's simply not possible.

I can't tell how you managed to find the wrong fonts, but there is no font conversion software built into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been doing this for more than 20 years, I'm not mistaken about what is happening. Everything I described above is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m with Steve here. InDesign cannot possibly convert your fonts.

It could certainly package the wrong one or not package one at all, but convert them? No. Not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you load Wingdings TTF on a Windows machine it actually loads 2 fonts (Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3). The font "Wingdings" isn't actually available, only the numbered versions. When I look at the fonts in my file it shows all 3 (Wingdings, Wingdings 2, and Wingdings 3) as being in the file even though I can't actually choose Wingdings without a number. When I package the file or save a file into the packaged folder it ABSOLUTELY DOES convert "Wingdings (TTF)" to Wingdings (OTF) and all of the Wingding 2 and Wingding 3 instances now show as just Wingdings (OTF) so I can't do a global change.

Fonts before packaging

fonts before packaging.jpg

Fonts after packaging

fonts after packaging.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are these fonts from?

And I think you’re using incorrect terminology. It might be a packaging error where the wrong font is being packaged. That is not a font conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fonts being packaged are the ones in the document, the document, however, is looking for Wingding OTF once it gets packaged instead of Wingding TTF and it is converting the Wingding 2 and Wingding 3 instances in the file to Wingding OTF. I guess it's just the old font and new InDesign but I can't find the symbols I need in anything else including Dingbats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more time…where did these fonts come from?

I have Windows 10 and Office 365 and do not see them in my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, older version of Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hang on a minute….I did find them.

Going to try this here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a quick test with Wingding 2 and Wingding 3 and don't see the issue after packaging it. The versions I have installed are Wingding 2 1.5, Wingding 3 1.5 and Wingding Regular 5.0. I'm using Indesign CC 2017 and Windows 10 Pro. What fonts do you see embedded in the PDF created in the packaged file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have a problem here:

wing dings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the open type description but I don't get the "incomplete" warning. See attachments.

Wingdings.JPG

WingdingsPDF.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this before or after you have actually performed the packaging? Mine looks fine before but if I open the packaged file and try again then it shows the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win7, ID 8.1 (CS6). Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3 - both version 1.55. Screenshots would be identical to those of Ellis home, no need to post. Everything's fine before and after packaging, fonts copied and recognized properly.

Likely it's not a common bug, something's wrong on your side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. I'll just have to do a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were in your shoes, maybe I would try to find another copy of the fonts - yours may be damaged... InDesign is picky about that…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or it could be a bug in that version of the fonts. Look around for another version of Wingdings (perhaps in a later version of Microsoft Office).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was going to be my next step, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m as up to date here as I can get. Office 365 and Win 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something else must be in play. Just to recap, we are talking about Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3 version 1.55 and Wingdings Regular version 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ellis, see the images above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update.  Don't know how, but I had version 5.03 of Wingdings 2 & 3 and version 2.55 of Wingdings.  I found a computer at work that had 1.5 of 2 & 3 and 5 of Wingdings and I replaced mine.  Works fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines