Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image in Grid mode purple... looks normal after opening

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2016-11-15_135044.jpg

You can see that in grid mode both the first and second image show a magenta, purple image area. Lightroom has a history with me for many years of screwing with Nikon NEF files, but I've never seen anything this bad in a preview.

2016-11-15_123021.jpg

and then will render this

2016-11-15_123042.jpg

with the develop setting as they were set.

What's up with that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your current display profile could be damaged or incompatible with LR. (Library and Develop use different code to access the profile, so they'll react differently to incompatible profiles.)  If you use a calibrator, try recalibrating.  If you don't use a calibrator, see here for quickly testing whether it's a profile problem: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

If that doesn't help, try unchecking the option Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor.  That's not supposed to affect anything except the Develop module, but it sometimes seems to help problems in other modules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I use an Eye One to Calibrate my monitor. Damaged? I don't think so. The problem with LR and rendering of NEF files has been around on all my systems for years. The example posted is the MOST several that I've seen. You see it goes away from one view to another.

I already had the processor disabled.

Sorry for the slow response . I either missed the notice from the system, or one was not sent out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The profile may be incompatible with LR, not necessarily damaged. It often happens, as you can see on the forums.  It may not be the cause of your problem, but it only takes a minute to test: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I look at Victoria stuff before... No..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Finally, restart Lightroom and check whether everything looks correct. If it does, you’ve confirmed that the previous monitor profile was the cause of the problem. You can temporarily leave sRGB as the monitor profile, as it’s better than a corrupted one, but it would then be wise to calibrate your monitor accurately using a hardware calibration device."

The Eye has produced profiles for my systems for quite some time. The profiles made using it work on all other systems I've used. However, this isn't the only issue LR and adobe have thrown at me lately.

I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I look at Victoria stuff before..

But did you try it??

I am curious to know an answer to your problem.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, and it didn't make any difference. And in conferring with a friend yesterday I see I'm not alone in this. I'd not make a big deal about it but for too many years, NEF files have display issues in LR.

I'll try the efforts to change settings. I am using an NEC monitor. I have both a Syder and an iOne... I've been around the block.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this doesn't happen in Develop (where previews are created on the fly), it might be caused by a corrupted preview cache. You could try deleting the preview cache, and see if that helps. The previews will then rebuild as you browse the Library - or you can (after deleting the preview cache) select all photographs in Library, and go to Library > Previews > Build standard sized previews (or 1:1 previews if you prefer). Depending on the size of your catalog, this will take some time.

With Lightroom closed, use the File explorer, and go to the folder that contains your catalog - usually a folder named Lightroom Catalog inside the Pictures or My Pictures folder.

Delete the folder whose name ends with Previews.lrdata. Do not delete anything else.

Launch Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THat's a fine solution if it happened on ALL my images and if I had a small library. Neither are true. I appreciate the suggestions folks. THis is not an Apple issue. I do have an Apple, but this is a PC.

To give you all insight, I've been a LR user since it's very first release in Beta 2,.. some  years...

THese are all fine suggestions. 300000 plus images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily find out if the preview cache is the cause of the problem without deleting it.

Create a new catalog, then import a few of the offending images.

If they display correctly in the new catalog, the preview cache is likely to be the problem.

You could also rename the preview cache (with LR closed), which will force LR to build new previews on the next launch.

Then go to a folder that used to have bad previews, and see if anything changes.

If it does, it's a confirmation that the preview cache is the problem.

If not, you can delete the new preview cache folder, and rename the old one back to its original name.

Another thing - I'm curious to know if the purple goes away when you view the image at 1:1 in Library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a grid issue only. 1:1 it goes away.

And I'm starting to feel more and more like I'm doing free beta testing ; (

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the problem goes away at 1:1, I have a feeling that this is caused by your develop settings.

Would you mind exporting one of these files as DNG and put it on Dropbox so we could take a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem with my development setting? So the problem is with how LR interprets data in the shadows. The issue... funny how opening  up the shadows  happen only with LR and not similar setting in the Nikon software. So the problem to me seem to be with how Adobe is handling the data.

PM me the address for your drop box.  I'll send a screen capture as well as the xmp file for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screen capture is not so helpful. The best thing would be if you could export a file as DNG, put it in a folder on Dropbox (or other file sharing service), and post the link to the folder here. A DNG export will include the develop settings.

If you feel uncomfortable about posting a link to the image here, send me a PM with the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Riddle me this Per Berntsen, If there is trouble with NEF import and preview making WHY would you want to replicate it with a DNG? And While you can not simply import the file, the screen shot(s) would show you the setting so that you can start from the DEFAULT slider settings just to confirm all the steps. And of course confirm that with the xmp files. Working like you suggest ONLY would give you the DNG ADOBE work flow solution and not that of the end user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, DNG is simply a container for the raw data, and should behave exactly the same way as a NEF.

The advantage in this context would be that there is no need for an xmp file - the develop settings will be saved to the header of the file. But if you like, you can share a NEF and the corresponding XMP file. (provided that you have saved metadata to file)

The reason that we ask people to post raw files is that it makes troubleshooting so much easier - there's nothing like having the original file, and it gives us a lot of information that we otherwise would have to ask you for. We also may discover other problems, or suggest different workflows. I'm not saying that will be the case here, but unless you share the raw file, we'll never know. It's of course entirely up to you if you want to share the raw file or not.

The second best thing would be screenshots of all your develop settings, and a screenshot of the image with no edits - as it was at import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

wrapper yes, MY workflow NOT. If you found that the simple wrapper was the cause... and OF course the metadata is written to the file. Another one of those WTF things that Adobe did to satisfy a different problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try generating a version 2 rather than version 4 ICC profile in i1 Profiler, and a matrix-based rather than table-based profile: Advanced Profile Settings  . There have been infrequent reports of issues with v4 profiles and table-based profiles (though the reports about the latter are clipping in the darkest shadows on some systems, which is reportedly an Apple bug).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines