• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Epson Ultra Premium Lustre -- Glossy or Matte in LR?

Advocate ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am printing from LR to my Epson R3000 printer using Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Lustre.  Two questions:

1) LR Print module > Print Job > Media Type, would this paper be Glossy or Matte?

2) LR Print Module > Color Management > Profile, I can select SPR3000 Premium Lustre, but there is no Ultra Premium Photo Paper Lustre.  Is the profile the same for both of these--Premium Lustre and Ultra Premium?

Thank you.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

ICC Profiles know NOTHING about image content or colors in context! They only know about individual pixel values. The perceptual table rendering has no rules; every profile maker can produce results they believe produces the most pleasing color as this has nothing to do with color accuracy. Not all ICC profiles are created equally!* Picking an appropriate rendering intent is image specific! Soft proof; toggle RelCol, Perceptual and even Saturation. Pick the one you visually prefer.

Not all ICC pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. choose glossy there..

2. On my Epson 3880 the profile is definitely the Ultra premium photo lustre

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KR,

OK on glossy.  Thanks.

Definitely no option for Ultra Premium Photo Paper Lustre, only Premium Lustre.  Perhaps Epson added that profile for the 3880.

By the way, for Intent I typically use Perceptual rather than Relative.  Any comments about Intent?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a choice of Premium Luster, I would give it a try.

I also typically chose Perceptual.  It preserves out of gamut detail but may change in-gamut colors. 

If your image has a great deal of Out of Gamut colors, Relative will clip Out of Gamut detail resulting in a "flat" looking image. 

If you have no Out of Gamut colors, there will be no difference in the final image regardless of which Intent is chosen.

The final choice is up to you; it is your image and what looks good to you is what matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Joe and KR.

I think the paper and profile are the same, just the names have been modified.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ICC Profiles know NOTHING about image content or colors in context! They only know about individual pixel values. The perceptual table rendering has no rules; every profile maker can produce results they believe produces the most pleasing color as this has nothing to do with color accuracy. Not all ICC profiles are created equally!* Picking an appropriate rendering intent is image specific! Soft proof; toggle RelCol, Perceptual and even Saturation. Pick the one you visually prefer.

Not all ICC profiles are created equally

In this 23 minute video, I'll cover:

The basic anatomy of ICC Profiles

Why there are differences in profile quality and color rendering

How to evaluate an ICC output profile

Examples of good and not so good canned profiles and custom profiles on actual printed output.

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/Not_All_Profiles_are_created_equally.mp4

Low resolution (YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdR_tIFMME&feature=youtu.be

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have experience using Datacolor's SpyderPRINT to make custom profiles?  Comments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not, but you might get more responses by posting this in a separate new thread rather than piggyback on an older thread with an unrelated subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Blaustein wrote:

Does anyone have experience using Datacolor's SpyderPRINT to make custom profiles? Comments?

Get a ColorMunki from X-rite instead. At least you're getting a true Spectrophotometer and it makes very good quality profiles.

http://xritephoto.com/colormunki-photo

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Andrew,

Thank you for the suggestion.  (I have followed your online advice on color management for 10+ years and have always appreciated your willingness to share information.  Again..... thanks!)

John

thedigitaldog wrote:

John Blaustein wrote:

Does anyone have experience using Datacolor's SpyderPRINT to make custom profiles? Comments?

Get a ColorMunki from X-rite instead. At least you're getting a true Spectrophotometer and it makes very good quality profiles.

http://xritephoto.com/colormunki-photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Epson has changed the premium lustre name slightly through the years.

I also use perceptual. You can find a lot of reason to use one over the other in forum discussions.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines