• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded files issue

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have inherited a catalog job that contains a 6 embedded image files. All these files have the same name Image250.jpg

When I output these to a PDF file, they all revert to the same incorrect image (I'll call it "image A") . If I unembed them and save to a folder the incorrect image A appears. I have tried unembedding "image A"  saving and renaming in photoshop and placing this file in the document. Unfortunately, the other files still appear as image A when creating a PDF.

Another strange thing. I created a separate document for testing and copied and pasted one of the Image250.jpgs. The copy and paste works fine and displays the correct image. However when enlarging the image it reverts to "Image A" at exactly the 63% mark.

If I could save these 6 images as print PDFs, I could rename and place each into the document as linked files. Unfortunately the print pdf displays only "imageA"

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Hans

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shots would help—include the Links panel info.

Without them, I wonder if:

1. The same image is cropped differently

2. The image has different layers showing (this is less likely)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely is not the same image cropped differently. There are 5 images that all show up as the same image when exported  to PDF. I created a test document that includes one image.
Screen shots attached are;

1) links panel

2) the correct shot taken from Indesign file (truck with flagger ahead sign)

3) The cursed imageA taken from PDF created from InDesign fileScreen Shot 1_2_3.png (truck with arrow)

Note, in the Indesign file, image at 69% appears as "truck with flagger" At exactly 70% it switches to truck with arrrow. Notice there is no cropping situation here. The image box is the size of the page and the image changes right in the center.

Thanks for your reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your links panel show one instance of one embedded image. Pasted graphics would not show.

Layers panel:

Spin open the layer and make it wider and post

Links panel

1. Select the image. From the panel menu choose Unembed Link, then No. Open the file in Photoshop or another image editor. What do you see?

2. Click on the hyperlink to Page 1 in your panel. Does it select your image.

When you select your image, does the link in the panel highlight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deepwoodsoff wrote:

I have inherited a catalog job that contains a 6 embedded image files.

One thing I am looking at is that you have 6 embedded images. Your Links panel shows one image. If it were in there more that once there would be a triangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the dark bar that shows up to the right of the arrow image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one image because i created a test file with only one image.

I tried the "unembed /no" commands. Then saved to a folder. The image in the folder was Image A, the incorrect one.

A pdf created from the test file also yields the incorrect image

The dark bar is is an artifact on the original photo. There is nothing past the edge of what I show.

There are no layers involved.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same image does the same thing in a new file?

If you want, put it in Drop Box, and I'll look at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I create a drop box folder and send you an invite? If so, I'll need an email address t send invite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't put personal info here in the public forum. You can post a link to the file.

Be sure to package the InDesign file so the it includes the image, then Zip it.

Give people view-only access to your files - Dropbox Help - Dropbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files are in drop box.

I've also included the pdf made from the  indesign file.

Outside of the issues with the embedded file, I think the strangest thing is the fact that the file changes when it is enlarged. Try enlarging it by 1% increments. It changes at 63%-69%

Dropbox - Embed Issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also baffled.

When I open the InDesign file, I briefly see one image, then it changes to the other when it finishes opening.

As you say, resizing the jpeg changes the embedded image from one to the other, which is very, very weird.

I unembedded it and placed it in a new document, and it behaves normally (with the arrow).

I'll keep looking.

Post it as a bug with a link to this thread:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which image do you want access to—the flagger ahead or the truck with the arrow?

InDesignss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind. It took me way less time to throw up my hands than it did Jane. Here's my observation, and maybe someone else can pick up the thread. I opened the file on dropbox in CC 2017, and I see the Flagger Ahead flash by, and then it shows the Truck w. Arrow. When I unembed, create a new file and open in Photoshop, it's the Truck w. Arrow

InDesign CCss_017.png

The path indicates the file originated in CS5. I saved the file as an IDML, and opened it in CS6. That shows the Flagger Ahead image as per my previous post. But whether I cut and paste that image, or unembed and make a new file to look at in in Photoshop, it returns to the Truck w. Arrow. It's a JPEG, not an animated gif and there are no layers.

From the links panel prior to messing with the file. I don't suppose you can follow that path in 2016 to find the original image?

InDesign CCss_018.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wild speculation... That path looks very odd. Referring to a cache? If one somehow linked a file in a cache, this might be the sort of thing that happened. But probably it's just what InDesign says anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder wrote:

… I opened the file on dropbox in CC 2017, and I see the Flagger Ahead flash by, and then it shows the Truck w. Arrow. When I unembed, create a new file and open in Photoshop, it's the Truck w. Arrow

…

The path indicates the file originated in CS5. I saved the file as an IDML, and opened it in CS6. That shows the Flagger Ahead image as per my previous post.

Hi Barb,

that's opposed to the thing I experienced when opening the file with CS6, save to IDML and open the IDML with CS6. Then the "Arrow" representation is showing constantly.

Alright. Then I tried the following with CC 2017:

1. I reset my view preferences to lowest quality and defined that with a setting that no image is showing (just a gray box)

2. Opened test2.indd with CC 2017, zoomed in to 300%.

3. Turned on "Overprint Preview"

4. The "FLAGGER AHEAD" version of the image flashed by and the image's preview manifests with the version of the arrow.

In the background I ran a QuickTime screen record to capture the flashing preview.
My hope was to capture a better preview image at 300% than the one that I did with InDesign CS6 at 94%.
Unfortunately the quality of the pixels of my second capture is quite the same.

So I still think, Hans has to live with a screenshot from CS6 and a pixel size of about 438 x 648 for the image.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your efforts. It's the strangest thing I've seen. Don't forget there are also 5 other images in the catalog  file that  all revert to the Arrow truck.

Here's what I did to solve my issue:

I contacted the printer who previously printed this job and he was able to supply me with a  3 year old version of the catalog. Unfortunately all the files mentioned above were embedded. Apparently this did not effect the printing of this earlier catalog.

I was able to create a press optimized PDF of the pages containing these embeded images. I then used the extract image command from acrobat pro. opened the files in Photoshop, renamed them and placed them into the current catalog doc.

Maybe this will help someone with a similar issue

I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and it still remains a mystery. Kind of got a little obsessed with it.

Let me know if anyone can figure it out

Thanks for everyones efforts

Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also got obsessed with it! I have never, ever seen an embedded jpeg change to another image on resize! Sounds like you found a good solution since the earlier catalog was able to make a PDF. The current version failed when you made the PDF. I'm glad the old one worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hans,

I opened your test2.indd file with InDesign CS6 v8.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.7.5 and I am seeing the same as every one else in this thread is seeing. "FLAGGER AHEAD" first, then I zoom in that reveals the one with the arrow.

However you can end this phenomenon:
Save as IDML and open the IDML file.

Then the image manifests itself with the one where you see the arrow. Regardless of zoom percentage.
The InDesign document is about 300 KB smaller now.

I also exported the frame from test2.indd to IDMS and the little preview in the placegun is still showing the image with "FLAGGER AHEAD", because the current preview in InDesign is used for the IDMS snippet.

PlacingIDMS-PlaceGun-Showing.png

However the placed image itself became the one with the arrow.

A look into the image's metadata suggests Adobe PhotoShop CS5 Windows and a RawFileName DSC_0017.NEF if that will help. And it seems, that someone saved the image with PhotoShop Elements 8.0 Windows to JPEG.

The best thing you could get now, I think, is to zoom to the zoom percentage you can see the image best with "FLAGGER AHEAD" and do a screenshot. With my older MacBook Pro that would be 94%. In your case 69%.

The result would be an image with about 438 x 648 px. Good for about 2 x 3 inch with an effective resolution of 200 ppi.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe the original InDesign CS6 file used OPI proxy image replacement. If you export your InDesign file to postscript (EPS) and choose Advanced, Send Data> Proxy, the correct image(s) will appear in the PDF (when the resulting .eps is opened in Acrobat/Distiller).

Unfortunately, I suspect the hi-res versions of the images probably did not get packaged by the previous printer, if OPI was used.

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 9.33.15 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines