• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem - 100% Disk Activity When Caching

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having a problem where the activity of the SSD raises to 100% when I am caching, while its write and read speeds remain very low.

All the other peripherals (cpu, memory, etc) are barely used.

I tried to move the cache to different drives and it happened on all drives. On other pcs the disk activity is usually in sync with the read and write speeds.

Also, sometimes the disk goes to 100% even by just opening AE and not rendering, etc and once I stop rendering/caching it remains at 100% for a long time.

Capture.PNG

Specs:

Windows 10

128gb Ram

6950x i7

sm 961 samsung SSD

Tested on multiple AE versions, with same result.

Anyone has a solution? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Sorry, but this is inconclusive. As far as AE is concerned I see no trace of excessive I/O activity, so this is something that's triggered indirectly. The files in your logs should not even make a blip ond your SSD. Most likely this is some driver or CoDec issue where your system waits forever until something is initialized and keeps the respective files and registry keys open indefinitely. I'd start by checking your device manager and the associated logs in the event viewer. I'd imagine there a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you are asking. This sounds more like a driver and configuration problem that is beyond AE. Either way, such crude statistics are of no use. you have to employ advanced monitoring tools to track down such file I/O issues. To me it looks like you need to start by checking your user folders. The behavior could well be related to temp files and preferences, not just the cache.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium, Thank you for your reply!

Do you have any suggestions on how to monitor this better? I am quite illiterate when it comes to the such problems 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download Sysinternals'/ Microsoft's Process Monitor utility, set its filtering to the AfterFX.exe and monitor the file I/O One of the calls is going to spike and that will tell you what's wrong. Feel free to post pertinent screenshots on the forum. I'm sure we can figure it out somehow.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your time!

the following is a screenshot from Microsoft's Process Monitor:

Test 01.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provide the summary reports from the "Tools" menu in Process Monitor and save the CSV files and expanded screenshots provide them in some form. There's just too many events. Of particular interest would be the general performance report as well as the File I/O, naturally.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ok. I have generated some csv files as you suggested. You can find them in this dropbox folder: Dropbox - SSD Problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but this is inconclusive. As far as AE is concerned I see no trace of excessive I/O activity, so this is something that's triggered indirectly. The files in your logs should not even make a blip ond your SSD. Most likely this is some driver or CoDec issue where your system waits forever until something is initialized and keeps the respective files and registry keys open indefinitely. I'd start by checking your device manager and the associated logs in the event viewer. I'd imagine there are some warning sign icons somewhere.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to check if I find anything. As a problem it seems to be occurring when I am caching only. If I set a specific render area, it normally goes back to 0 when the whole render area is cached. Although there where some instances where the Activity remained a 100%. That said the read and write remain low. I am thinking if it might be just a problem with the task manager, since I am not noticing any performance issues when it is happening. Although it only occurs when using AE and not other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the drivers as you suggested. They looked up to date, but then I went on the SSD's site and downloaded the latest firmware, and it looks like its working really well! After Effects seem to be working well without peaking the activity. I also ran some benchmarks and the maximum read speeds doubled!

Thanks for your help! Really Appreciate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue...used CCcleaner to clean the registry, installed latest driver from the SDD manufacturer...that fixed it...
960 evo pro.

1950x/1080ti/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done all that, and still the driver where is the AE cache is peaking at 100%, tried everything that is above, removing the plug-ins, using differents version of AE but nothing fixed it, i'm trully desperate 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2022 Jan 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with my disk cache. I have it located on a Samsung 980 pro SDD drive, separate from the system drive and the file drive. I think with this hard drive I shouldn't have any problems, but even with updated drivers there is no way after effect will work properly. Eternal render times. I am also desperate. Did you find the solution for this problem? 

luisma85_0-1643050376436.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im having this same problem, Anyone find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines