• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.indd to .book question

Engaged ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an .indd file, I need to create an .indb book file chapter by chapter or section by section. I see how to add documents to the indb Book file but the .indd is ONE document how do I add chapter by chapter?

R

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t. The book is a combination of INDD files. This is generally done to break a very large document into smaller, more manageable pieces.

What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client of mine that wants me to convert his InDesign doc to Ibooks Author. I see instructions on how to do as IBA will only import .idml files so I went chapter to chapter and broke the .indd into smaller .idml files.

Thats done, but now as I go to import those files to IBA IBA quits / crashes.

So now this is an Apple problem unless you would know why IBA behaves this way?

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you need IBA for this? Will fixed layout epub from InDesign not be suitable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! As I did do a fixed layout and it looks and it looks great. But the client knows how to edit in IBA and for the life of me I say if you can edit in IBA you can edit an indd. Let me see what he says.

thx Happy Holidays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe that nobody answered this question in the Apple IBA forums especially when I have a crash log report which says

Exception Type:        EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

the crash log is generated by IBA not InDesign , but I did get one reply saying that the forum I'm in is a user forum and as long as nobody has the same problem it will be tough to get an answer.

Now I have to tell this client I have to turn down his job because I cannot get something to work which s documented and has instructions on how to do. Bad for me.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was solved as I was running CC 2017 off of OS 10.10 using IBA 2.4.1, I upgraded my OS to 10.11 and my IBA to 2.5 and the task works now.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing in InDesign that let's you split a document very easily. The best way is probably to make a copy of the document, delete any pages not belonging to the desired chapter, and save it with a sensible name ("Chapter 10"). Then, repeat for all the other chapters in the book. Finally, combine all those files in a single InDesign book document.*

Whether you need to use an InDesign book, though, is a different question. I hardly ever do, and I regularly work on books 400 or 600 pages long.

*This tedious procedure is automated by our "Extract Pages" script (not free): Extract Pages – Id-Extras: InDesign Scripts, Tips & Solutions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But EPUBs can be split by Paragraph Style too, so you need not to split up a document into severals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines