• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAID SOLUTION

Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you are well.  I am looking for a RAID sltuion for video editing and wanted to know if one of these are better than the other.  4K editing, GH4 at th moment (mov).

http://www.videoguys.com/shop/allbrands/brands-d-h/g-technology/g-raid/g-raidr-with-thunderbolt-and-...

http://www.videoguys.com/shop/storage/g-technology-g-raid-7-high-performance-usb-8.html

[moved to hardware forum by mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would guess both will perform similar with top speeds being determined by the hdd's. it comes down to what connections you prefer or need, usb 3.0 and e-sata vs usb 3.0 and thunderbolt 2. the firewire connection is slower and would limit top speeds. thunderbolt is the fastest connection but might only be helpful with ssd's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up getting the G-RAID WITH THUNDERBOLT 2 AND USB 3.0 8TB.  This thing is HUGE.  Next question.  I have a laptop and want to be portable.  Would installing another SSD card (or 2) be a better option.  Would editing be as fast as this sata raid?  4K mov's and mp4 files at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a single sata ssd would be faster than the raid-0 hdd's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...just reponded on the other version of this same question. Ronin is correct. If your current laptop has only ONE drive in it, you MUST add a second drive to avoid hindering performance....unless your current drive is a PCI SSD NVMe drive. You have given NO info on your laptop, so, it is difficult to advise. In general, installing a second internal drive to be a " project drive",( which is an SSD), is the best solution.

Below is a quote from a Storage Review article on your external box :

The G-RAID was first tested in RAID0. It performed in the middle of the pack with read and write speeds of 316MB/s and 311.7MB/s, respectively. The 2big was the top performer in both read and write with 412.7MB/s and 353.3MB/s, respectively, vs. 254.7MB/s and 223MB/s from the My Book Duo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your and Ronins time very much!

Computer:

HP ZBOOK 17 G3 MOBILE WORKSTATION WITH HP DREAMCOLOR DISPLAY

M4000M

32 RAM

512 GB HP turbo drive

thunderbolt and usb 3

http://www.videoguys.com/shop/computers/workstations/videoguys-tech-select-hp-zbook-17-g3-mobile-wor...

I'm leaning toward this external (as I have a 250 coupon at VideoGuys at the moment and they don't carry internal SSD's:  GLYPH ATOM RAID DUAL-DRIVE SSD ARRAY WITH USB C, USB3 AND THUNDERBOLT 3

http://www.videoguys.com/shop/allbrands/brands-d-h/glyph/glyph-atom-raid-dual-drive-ssd-array-with-u...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the hp laptop appears to have a pcie ssd, the 512gb Z turbo drive. so if your projects are small enough, everything could fit and run off that one drive. if not, the external Glyph atom raid ssd specs looks very nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it OK to edit off of your boot drive? I thought I read somewhere that wasn't a good idea…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the super fast pcie ssd's are fast enough to have everything on the same drive. there are different generations of the hp turbo drive that have different speeds, so i don't know exactly how fast that one in the laptop will be. if you think it will be enough space, you could test it before deciding to buy the external ssd...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NICE!  Will do.  Thank you Ronin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines