• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom says my folders are missing and when I relocate them, it creates a new folder for my hard drive

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After unplugging my hard drive, and then plugging it back in, Lightroom says my folders are missing and when I relocate them, it creates a new folder for my hard drive. So now I have loads of versions of the same drive, because Lightroom treats my hard drive as a new one Everytime I plug it in.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Try this.

Shut LR down.

Restart your Mac.

Plug in your external drive.

Start LR.

If that works and doesn't create another folder in LR then always plug the drive in before you start LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture.

Also, Mac or Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 18.55.11.png

As you can see, there are 5 copies of the same hard drive, with stuff that i have relocated, and it has created new folders. The one at the bottom is the most recent folders that i have relocated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a MAC expert, but it seems that somehow each time you plug the drive in, LR thinks it is a new drive with a new name, and it doesn't recognize the location of the photos. I don't know why this is happening, perhaps some of the MAC users in this forum can explain.

You need to fix the question mark icons, specifically, you need to tell LR where the photos are currently located. The instructions for doing this are here: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders . This will (probably) end up with all folders located on the same disk, and the other disks won't be needed and can be removed from LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes thats exactly what i need.

When i locate the files, it creates another folder, and i have to keep doing this everytime i plug my hard drive in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

Shut LR down.

Restart your Mac.

Plug in your external drive.

Start LR.

If that works and doesn't create another folder in LR then always plug the drive in before you start LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

restarting my mac, has seemed to fix it, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines