Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing color of Expanding text and Drop down text in RH6

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2008 Jul 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there any way to change the color of the expanding text? When I type text in the expanding text box, the text is black. When I look at the actual output in WebHelp, the text is red.

Is there a way to automatically set the color of the expanding hotspot text and drop-down hotspot text?

Thanks,
FMnRH

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2008 Jul 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there FMnRH

Try this.

Click Format > Styles...
Note that the style selections include Expanding Hotspot and Expanding Text.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2008 Jul 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this question sparked something that has bugged me for ages.

Why is it that the styles I defined for drop-down hotspot and expanding hotspot appear as I want them to in the project source files, but in both the preview window and final published output they take on the appearance defined by my hyperlink styles?

Is it possible for the drop-down hotspot and expanding hotspot to appear in the final published output exactly as I define them in the project and not take on the appearance of the defined hyperlink styles?

Many thanks,

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how have you defined the styles?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I defined the styles using Format > Styles... Then change the font colour, size, etc and then the rollover effect using the DHTML Effects for the drop-down and expanding hotspot styles.

For as long as I've used RoboHelp (about 5 years) it doesn't seem to matter how I define the font colour, size, DHTML effects, etc, for the hotspot styles. It has always reverted to the font defined for the Hyperlink styles, so I assumed that was what it was supposed to do. However, if I apply a font highlight to the hotspot styles, it does add it. Strange!

Ok. [hands up] What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever you want has to be done in Format | Styles, not with the DHTML effects.

Make some wild colour changes there to see what is working.

Post back if you cannot get the results.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The changes I made were through Format > Styles {select a hotspot style] > Modify > Format > Font
and
Format > Styles {select a hotspot style] > Modify > Format > DHTML Effects.

It doesn't matter how wild I am, it always picks up the hyperlink style.

For example:
Expanding hotspot = Maroon
Hyperlink (unvisited) = Navy

When editing my topic, the hotspot displays in maroon.
When previewing my topic, the hotspot displays in navy.
When my topic is published, the hotspot displays in navy.
When I activate the hotspot, then close the expanded or drop-down text, it stays Navy. This is the behaviour I expect, except I want it to use the maroon colour.

However, when I activate a hyperlink, then go back, it displays in purple. I have no idea where it gets the purple from as the Hyperlink (visited) style is actually red!

Are there any other styles that may be causing the hotspot style and visited hyperlink to malfunction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liz,

Forgive me if I haven't completely understood what you've already tried. Have you defined styles for every state of the expanding and dropdown links--link, hover (you mentioned rollover...), visited, active? If not, that may be why the browser in the preview and the output is reverting to the styles for regular hyperlinks.

You would want a set of the following styles defined (or changed to the way you want them if they are already defined in your style sheet):

a.expandspot:link
a.expandspot:visited
a.expandspot:active
a.expandspot:hover
a.dropspot:link
a.dropspot:visited
a.dropspot:active
a.dropspot:hover

Just a thought,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I only have the visited, active, hover type styles for hyperlinks. If I had these styles for the expanding and drop-down hotspots I would be able to apply them. How do I add these for the expanding and drop-down hotspots? I'm currently using X5.

Thanks

Liz (I have a feeling I'm about to feel like a dunce!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is also covered in Snippets on my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I just looked at your snippets and found "42 : Styles not appearing as defined in the style sheet". I hope this is the place you were pointing me to. I scrolled down to the expanding and drop-down hotspot section, but I don't understand the relevance?! You clearly state that the hyperlink styles do not affect the hotspot styles, but for me they clearly do.

I viewed my style sheet in notepad and have attached the relevant code for the hotspots and hyperlinks (I hope!). I have the different styles set up, so why might they not obey the style sheet?

If I should be looking somewhere else (probably the case!), please do repoint me in the right direction.

Regards

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try 35

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2008 Aug 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I knew I would have missed something re:snippet 35. However this seems to cover what was said previously. I get it, and have made sure I set the dropspot and expandspot styles in my stylesheet.

Again this morning I adjusted the colour of my hotspot styles in my stylesheet, but they still only appear as I would like them to in the WYSIWYG window, and revert to the hyperlink style in the preview window and generated help.
(BTW my colleagues are now starting to think I have no sense of colour!) I just assumed that it was one of little annoyances with RH.

If I could add a screenshot here I would be able to show you the problem.

Regards

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always wondered about the code that says,
text-decoration: none none underline

Does it belong there? Is it a holdover from an older stylesheet imported into RH 6? Is it disabled by the /* or */ tags? Does it have any function for text display?

If you delete these lines, do the styles work?

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens in the downloadable demo? Does that work as you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the demo does work for me, but I cannot see any hyperlink styles defined in either of your stylesheets. How do you define your hyperlink styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we clarify what you want?

I thought you wanted to be able to define the colours of the hotspots for expanding and dropdown text. Whilst they may look like hyperlinks, they are defined as per the demo which you say is working for you.

In that demo it does state

Default2 has been set up to display different colours for hyperlinks, dropdown hotspots and dropdown text, and expanding hotspots and expanding text.

I can see your confusion. The word "hyperlinks" is included but if you go to the hyperlinks topic, it does state the topic is not completed. Looks like I forgot that was incomplete so there are no hyperlink examples. I will correct that but meantime, the demo does cover what you asked.

So is it expanding and dropdown hotspots that are the issue or hyperlinks to other topics, websites etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't confused. I simply remarked about the lack of hyperlink styles in your stylesheet because I wondered if your hotspot styles would stick in the output once the hyperlink styles were defined.

It is the hotspots that are the problem. I have already defined the dropspot and expandspot with different colours in my stylesheet. They display ok in the WYSIWYG, but not ok in the preview window or in the generated output.

In the preview window and generated output the hotspots take on the hyperlink styles. This is not what I want.

I hope that is more clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To help me understand correctly

- If you change the colours defined for the dropdown and expanding hotspots in the project you downloaded, recompile the help, then those changes work. The styles to change those hotspots are in the stylesheet and what to change is described in the project.

- If you make the same changes in your project, that does not work.

Can you recreate this in a new project and email that via my site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The order (top to bottom in the CSS file) in which you list the link states is crucial; they must follow the Lo Ve HAte "protocol:"

a:link {
etc.
a:visited {
etc.
a:hover {
etc.
a:active {
etc.

Some can be combined, as long as the order is maintained, such as:

a:link, a:visited {
etc.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

In RoboHelp classes we encounter this all the time where a style is changed in a style sheet and it's not really reflected in the actual page after doing so. I've skimmed the thread and so far haven't seen anyone suggest what I'm about to. Or at least I don't believe I have. So apologies if this was covered and I missed it.

If you change the view to HTML view, do you see any style information there other than a link to the CSS file? If so, try deleting any style information. This will be found in the Head area at the top of the topic. It may look something like this:
<style><!--

body {
background-color: #ffffff;
}
A:visited {
color: #800080;
}
A:link {
color: #0000ff;
}
-->
</style>

You would want to remove that information.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2008 Aug 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi,

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I had already cottoned on that the order of styles in the stylesheet mattered to the overall result (Thanks for the tip Leon). Having reordered the styles I thought I had sorted out the problem, but then discovered some very odd behaviour.

Rick, from where are you suggesting I change the view to HTML? If this is to view the sourcecode for the topic, I have done this and attach some code I found.
The first was just at the start of the body section, above my H1 style which is the title for the topic.
The second was in the the bit of code for the dropdown and expanding hotspots.
Could this be the culprit?

I am now thinking that creating a new stylesheet will be quick way to resolve to resolve this problem (kind of like a stylesheet ''reboot'!). If the new stylesheet doesn't behave itself then I'll truly be at wits end! If any other ideas come to you then please let me know.

Regards,

Liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp