• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What format should I convert my video footage to?

Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello people

I hope someone can advise me. I am new to video editing and am just about to start putting together a project comprised of photos and video footage and want to know the best format for my video footage to be in prior to taking it into my Premiere Elements 11 system. The project will take many days to finish so I plan to do a lot of saving and do not want the video footage to lose its quality.

The video was taken using a Fuji hs20 camera and is 1080p Full HD 30 frames per second using H.264 compression coded (saved directly as MOV files) progresive capture. Sound - WAVE. stereo.

I have the Wondershare Ultimate Video converter which has many video formats to choose from including some in HD.

I intend to get the project out to Youtube, Vimeo and perhaps make a blu ray disc.

ANY, advise would be appreciated as I am new to editing and not technically minded.

Sincerely    Alan                                 (my photos will all be resized to match and saved as PSD's to avoid re-compression, they are J-Pegs at the moment)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Premiere Elements is non destructive, that means every time you edit or save or export your work the original files wont be touched.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not convert your video! Assuming you've got an adequately powered system, you'll have no problems editing H.264 video in Premiere Elements 11. In fact, unless you really know what you're doing, converting your video can turn it into a format that's actually less rather than more efficient to edit.

What processor do you have? If it rates at least a 5000 on this benchmark page, you'll have no problems editing 1080p.

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

As for photos, in my books I recommend resizing your photos to no larger than 2500 pixels wide by 1875 pixels tall in order to have a smooth video editing workflow. Larger photos can slow down and even crash the program. But beyond the actual size,  you'll get no noticeable boost by converting the photos from JPEGs to PSDs. The compression doesn't signficantly tax the program. It's the actual measurement of the photos, in pixels, that makes the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question - it gives me confidence. I was on the understanding that my video and photos would have to be converted to a non-compressive lossless format so that each time I saved my work it would not loose quality.

I live on a farm in a rural area - contact like this is invaluable.

Again, thank you.              Alan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements is non destructive, that means every time you edit or save or export your work the original files wont be touched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ann, thank you, I did not know!

Alan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines