• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change editor for photo in Premiere Elements?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements 15: When I choose a still image/photo, and i choose "edit" it opens it in the Windows 10 default image viewer. I want to open it in Photoshop (I'm still using CS6 - it works and it's paid for! )

I haven't been able to find where to set the program that is used when I hit Edit Original when I right click on a still image - help!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I don't want to change the default viewer in Windows to Adobe Photoshop. If there was a way to change a default photo editor in Windows 10, that would be great, but I can only see how to change the default viewer.

In the two video editors I was using before moving to PE, there was a simple option to set the program used when you selected Edit for images, Can that not be done in PE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I even figured out how to change the photo edit default in Windows 10 (not the photo view) in the registry. So now when I right click on a photo in Windows 10, and hit Edit, it goes to Adobe Photoshop.

HOWEVER - Elements still only gives me Edit Original, which opens it in the Windows 10 VIEWER default, or Edit in Photoshop Elements, which I don't own since I own Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a couple different ways to open a still photo from inside Premier Elements looking for a "work around".  I came close, but when the file was open in Photoshop I was blocked from saving it because the file was still open in Premier Elements. 

What part of Premier Elements are you in where you want to do an "Edit In" ?  Timeline?  Assets?

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timeline would be ideal but assets would be OK.

I'm surprised that Adobe didn't include this as an option; perhaps they assumed anyone using Elements would be using Photoshop Elements rather than Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The closest I came to a work around was to open Add Media, find the file and do an Open In.  It opened, but would not allow me to save changes without closing Premier Elements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines