Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HOWTO: Restore a Video its Original Length

Engaged ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PE 14.1 on a WIN7 PC.

Is there a way to restore a video clip on the timeline to its original length?

Background: I have created a number of short videos on the subject of flying sailplanes.

Such videos on YouTube are generally fairly short to avoid boring viewers.

I then create a "Director's Cut" version of same video for club members who are prepared to watch for much longer.

This what I need to do is to take a number of clips on the timeline that have been trimmed front & back and

restore to the full length in order to be able to re-trim or possibly show in full.

How to?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Although I found I could extend the clip to the right (i.e. restore towards the end) I could not extend it to the left (restore the beginning) - the previous clip got reduced in length.

You can extend a clip to the left. Make sure the tool is on the correct side of the clip.

There are two different versions of that tool: arrow pointing to the left and one pointing to the right (has more white).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no automatic way to do this. You just have to drag on each end of each clip to fully extend it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a new project and import the files you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can set up the Director's Cut first.  When it is done the way you like it, do a Save As "YouTube Version" and do the appropriate trimming.   They aren't linked, but you wouldn't have to undo anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no automatic way to do this. You just have to drag on each end of each clip to fully extend it.

Although I found I could extend the clip to the right (i.e. restore towards the end) I could not extend it to the left (restore the beginning) - the previous clip got reduced in length.

Make a new project and import the files you want.

I didn't want to start again from scratch!

Maybe you can set up the Director's Cut first.

Do the professionals work that way?  I get the impression that at least the "Director's Cuts" appear after the initial release (so they get their customers to pay twice .

ANYHOW - as far as I can see one way (the only way?) is to delete the trimmed clip from the timeline & then drag the original clip from the Project Assets into the hole.  Then trim again as apprpriate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOTELECHOMIKE wrote:

Do the professionals work that way? I get the impression that at least the "Director's Cuts" appear after the initial release (so they get their customers to pay twice .

Professionals?  This is $70 ameteur software for video shot with consumer gear!  IMHO, it is very good for it's intended purpose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can extend a clip to the left. Make sure the tool is on the correct side of the clip.

There are two different versions of that tool: arrow pointing to the left and one pointing to the right (has more white).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that this works

I'd previously had the cursor exactly on the dividing line between the clips but if I put it slightly to the right of the dividing line I can move the start of that clip towards its original beginning.

Actually I see a double arrow (black) & nothing with white (I'm in "Expert" mode).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

tril left right.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines