• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom doesnt show the xmp setting in a RAW Image

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6.8 Desktop Version, Mac OS Mavericks.

Sorry for my english !!

In a Lightroom catalogue  I organized subfolders with RAW Images. It is the work from more than 12 month.

If I open a subfolder in Lightromm the program shows me only the RAW Image without my settings. The xmp file are in the same folder tlike the RAW

Images, but I see only the default setting. Whats wrong? How can I (re)load/import / repair the the linkage for the xmp setting ?

Not all subfolders afected, but a lot. I dont understand this situation. Are the Lightroom 6.8 update the cause?

I hope anybody can help me to fix my problem.

Mary X-Mas an thank you in advance

Regards
Andreas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Hints.

1. Lightroom by default reads and writes to the Catalog File. As far as Lightroom is concerned the info is in the Catalog and it does not work by default with .xmp sidecars.

2. However subject to 1. above there is an option to "automatically write to xmp" in the Lightroom preferences to instruct Lightroom to save your work to .xmp.

3. Lightroom only reads automatically from .xmp at initial import. If you change info in the .xmp file e.g from Photoshop using the ACR Plugin then you will need

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you looking at the RAW files.

The XMP created by LR for the edits you have made are only view-able, viable, inside LR.

Also those edits are also stored in the LR catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only look the RAW Files into Lightroom !

It is really curious, the half xmp settings from nearly 5000 images are disappeared, will means the xmp files exists into the Image folder, but Lightroom dont shows my settings. Really horrible. The half of my develop images are "Flat". I see only the default setting. ;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hints.

1. Lightroom by default reads and writes to the Catalog File. As far as Lightroom is concerned the info is in the Catalog and it does not work by default with .xmp sidecars.

2. However subject to 1. above there is an option to "automatically write to xmp" in the Lightroom preferences to instruct Lightroom to save your work to .xmp.

3. Lightroom only reads automatically from .xmp at initial import. If you change info in the .xmp file e.g from Photoshop using the ACR Plugin then you will need to prompt Lightroom to read the info from the .xmp file.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not use the edits in your xmp files to display the photo. This is not a bug and is not a change in recent versions of Lightroom. Lightroom only uses the edits stored in its own catalog to display your photo.

Ok, thank you, thats a very good detail.  The catalog probably makes the problem, ok.
I have a suspicion about my handling with the catalog.

If you want to use the xmp files, you would have to read the information in the xmp files into its catalog, you can use the command Metadata->Read Metadata from Files.

However, there's something wrong here if you have edits in xmp but not in the catalog file. I don't know how you got to this point with edits in xmp but not in the catalog file, but this isn't a good workflow, however you got there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

about 4 weeks ago I has split my catalog.

I think the mistake was:

copy the catalog into 5 diffrent catalogs and rename it. After that i delete the respectivaly the retundant images.

The result was 5 catalogs with the respectivaly dedicatet images. I think Lightroom doestn like this handling.

So, how can I split my "Big" catalog correct into various diffent catalogs?

At moment I try to rebuild my "Big" Catalog. I hope I can restore it complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Its done, the settings are back 😉

I Import only a part of the big catalog into the seperate catalogs. Operated by my Backups I can do this.

Thank you for your postings, it helps me to find the cause.

Very X-mas and a really happy and good new year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not use the edits in your xmp files to display the photo. This is not a bug and is not a change in recent versions of Lightroom. Lightroom only uses the edits stored in its own catalog to display your photo.

If you want to use the xmp files, you would have to read the information in the xmp files into its catalog, you can use the command Metadata->Read Metadata from Files.

However, there's something wrong here if you have edits in xmp but not in the catalog file. I don't know how you got to this point with edits in xmp but not in the catalog file, but this isn't a good workflow, however you got there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer.

Hmm, OK, but where does store Lightroom my settings? Into the catalog file? If yes, the catalog are not working correct.
I can see only the default setting from a finished develop Image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines