• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom on multiple computers

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to find how to config LR CC for multiple computers.

I have been using LR for years and want to join CC. But don't see how I should set it up. I am running windows 10, on a laptop, desktop and tablet. I have 100k photos in my lib. I have several questions.

Because you can install it on two computers at the same time I think it should be installed on the desktop, and laptop. Then use lightroom mobile on the Windows tablet.  Where do I find what the limitations of mobile are?  Can LR mobiel be set up on multiple devices? I want it installed on my tablet and phone.

I have heard you should install the photos and database on an external HD and plug it into the use computer. For speed reasons it is better to run from a networked drive. I have gotten that to work on a shared Database using a subst command to bypass the "not network drive" limit. I understand the database is not set up for multiple access. As long as I DO NOT access on to computers at the same time, is that reason not to use a networked database? making the drive mapping the same on both computers.

How is the best way to have an off line (not connected to my local network, but connected to the internet) catalog? Is it a one way connection? Can I take my laptop to a starbucks and Rate the photos? edit? Is the best way to do this LR Mobile off line? Then LR standard for when connected. Or maybe two catalogs and export between them, one local network shared, and one stand alone for remote access. I don't like this option because I need to have more forethought and export before I leave. Not unreasonable but less than Ideal.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Connection method was never a bottleneck. Yes, it is true that Library Module activities will be slower but I wouldn't call that a bottleneck. Many people use a catalog on an external drive, and I don't hear a lot of copmlaints that this makes Lightroom too slow. I think your worries are exaggerated.

There is no "cloud verson" where your catalog is in the cloud.

Using two catalogs, and merging them using File->Import from Another Catalog, works if you know what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you can install it on two computers at the same time I think it should be installed on the desktop, and laptop. Then use lightroom mobile on the Windows tablet.  Where do I find what the limitations of mobile are?  Can LR mobiel be set up on multiple devices? I want it installed on my tablet and phone.

Lightroom Mobile can only be used on iOS or Android device and not on a Windows tablet.This also seems irrelevant to your original question of using LR on two computers.

I have heard you should install the photos and database on an external HD and plug it into the use computer. For speed reasons it is better to run from a networked drive. I have gotten that to work on a shared Database using a subst command to bypass the "not network drive" limit. I understand the database is not set up for multiple access. As long as I DO NOT access on to computers at the same time, is that reason not to use a networked database? making the drive mapping the same on both computers.

You are living risky, my friend. LR was not set up to do this and even if you really are able to do this, I doubt that it is a safe thing to do. You catalog can easily be corrupted by LR trying to write to the catalog and the slower network speeds.

The only really safe way to do this is to use an external HD.

How is the best way to have an off line (not connected to my local network, but connected to the internet) catalog

Can't be done. Catalogs cannot be on an offline device. Photos can be offline, however, if you use Smart Previews. So if you really want to use LR at Starbucks, catalog on the internal HD plus smart previews ought to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much for the response.

I thought there was a way to use LR with a cloud from adobe.  I Have not looked into it. I heard it only makes sense for small databases.

One way to use LR both connected and not is set up two data bases. One when connected, that is used by the other computer.  Probably using a external drive.  Then using "export as catalog" to transfer to the other database as needed.  The same way it was done in CS5. Hoped there was more tools in CC. One problem with this is knowing where the current is. 

I understand how saving the meta data works for some aspects.

am I out to lunch on the cloud version? The joys of looking up info on the web, and unreliable sources.

Is there a better way to be on-line and off line on the same computer? (meaning if the external drive is not attached). It just needs planning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would want to avoid doing most of my work on the external drive because of speed. I see how that could work but access time is so much worse for external verses internal, or what I have on my desktop is a internal raid 5.  I assume the bottle neck is still the connection method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Connection method was never a bottleneck. Yes, it is true that Library Module activities will be slower but I wouldn't call that a bottleneck. Many people use a catalog on an external drive, and I don't hear a lot of copmlaints that this makes Lightroom too slow. I think your worries are exaggerated.

There is no "cloud verson" where your catalog is in the cloud.

Using two catalogs, and merging them using File->Import from Another Catalog, works if you know what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your info. 

There is so much BAD information on the web. Some from people, that sound like they know.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

what does it take to occasionally transfer a license from one computer to another with CC?

I will have my main LIb on my desktop. Most of the time I take my laptop, and the second license is on it. But is it realistic to deactivate the laptop and activate the tablet?

Should I be concerned that I transfer too much? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines