Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Original MOD file 16:9 changes to 4:3 after importing

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have recorded MOD files (Everio) which is 16:9  (720x576). After importing the screen shows 4:3 with black bars on the left and right side. Part of the original screen is just cut off. When playing the original file on VLC I have 16:9. I didn't have this problem before. And I don't think I changed any settings. To fix the issue I checked the "projectinstellingen" and it shows the project is indeed in 720x576. (DV PAL). Note that when I import an MP4 file from my phone it perfectly shows the correct format.
So how can I get the original MOD file format in Premiere Elements?

Thanks for your support. / Andre

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Known issue. (this is different from what Steve is referring to).

Convert files to mp4 with HandBrake.

It the same in Premiere Pro

Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Automatically Crops Source Video Upon Import

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very common problem with Everio files, which don't use standard frame sizes and pixel aspect ratios. I don't know if anyone has found a fully satisfying solution. But try this: (You haven't said which version of the program you're working with, so these instructions will work for version 11 or later.)

Open a new project. On the New Project panel, click the Settings button and select the preset for Hard Disk/Flash Memory Camcorder, Widescreen 48 khz. (I assume, based on your question, the program is set up for PAL editing.)

Then, back on the New Project panel, check the option to Force Settings on your project. This will keep the program from changing your project settings once you add your video. Click OK to open your project and hopefully your video will fill your frame.

If not, you may want to consider investing in a new camcorder. A Canon Vixia AVCHD refurb can be had for under $200, and that will give you excellent high-def quality in a highly editable format. The Everio you're using is a format JVC developed and then abandoned because it caused so many problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve, unfortunately this didn't work. I tried several options in that menu. I didn't have this problem with Pinnacle but due to constant crashes I changed to Premiere Elements 14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, as I said, the problem is with the camcorder itself and the strange format of video it creates.

A small investment in an AVCHD camcorder will make all the difference in the world, no matter which program you use to edit your video -- and give your videos a whole new richness!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens wrote:

If this is not the case go up to Add Media, right click on the clip and Interpret Footage to widescreen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. Conversion with HandBrake works well. Not ideal situation of course but I can work with it. I don't have to record things ofter so it is not worth buying a new camcorder. Interpreting Footage as Widescreen didn't work. Thanks again for your responses. I think we can close this discussion.  Best regards, Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Succes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or buy an AVCHD camcorder, as I recommended.

Otherwise, with that JVC, you're going to continually struggle trying to fit that square peg in a round hole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines