• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot connect Beam Effect point to a Layer connected to Null layer?

Participant ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I'm doing something wrong here and it's not AE... I'm trying to connect a Beam Effect point to another layer's Position property. This other later is the Child of a Null layer which I want to animate. When I try to this, the Beam Effect point goes completely off screen.

Why don't I just connect the Beam effect point to the first layer and leave it like that? If I do it that way it does work fine. However, the parent layer which is the Null layer contains tracked Position property keyframes that are not where I want the Child layer to be. (I hope this makes sense)

Am I just doing something wrong? Is it a bug? Or just impossible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Louis

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016
I'm trying to connect a Beam Effect point to another layer's Position property. This other later is the Child of a Null layer which I want to animate. When I try to this, the Beam Effect point goes completely off screen.

this is normal. notice that when you parent a child to a parent, the child's parameters change to be relative to the parent. so when you pickwhip via expression the beam to the child, you are giving the beam the child's altered coordinates and not the original ones.

try this expre

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to connect a Beam Effect point to another layer's Position property. This other later is the Child of a Null layer which I want to animate. When I try to this, the Beam Effect point goes completely off screen.

this is normal. notice that when you parent a child to a parent, the child's parameters change to be relative to the parent. so when you pickwhip via expression the beam to the child, you are giving the beam the child's altered coordinates and not the original ones.

try this expression for the beam layer to get the absolute position of the layer:

myNull = thisComp.layer("Null 2");

myChild = thisComp.layer("child");

myChild.transform.position+myNull.transform.position

or this:

x = thisComp.layer("child").transform.position;

x+thisComp.layer("child").parent.transform.position

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Roei! Are you actually adding both position properties (child and parent) to get the child's relative position?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to speed up the project a little, there are plenty of scripts that do exactly the same thing, and allow you to avoid the hassle of fixing this kind of stuff manually.

Just check on Youtube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I also wanted to include the Rotation property would then do this?

x = thisComp.layer("child").transform.position;

x+thisComp.layer("child").parent.transform.position;

r = thisComp.layer("child").transform.rotation;

r+thisComp.layer("child").parent.transform.rotation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I also wanted to include the Rotation property would then do this?

actually not much of an expression expert. did it work for you? I think it has to be more complex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines