• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grep code to search for superscript characters?

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

I am wondering if there is Grep code that can be used to search for any

superscript digits or characters in Indesign? For some reason I haven't been

able to discover what it is yet..

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

I was on my iPad before. Here is a screen shot:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it with a regular text search for formatting. Is there a reason you need GREP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on my iPad before. Here is a screen shot:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Awitmer—just clarifying Jane's correct answer, above. You don't need GREP to simply locate text or digits that are using superscript: If there is something behind the question, maybe you do, so in that case come back and let us know. Otherwise:

Edit > Find/Change

InDesign CCss_006.png

InDesign CCss_004.png

InDesign CCss_005.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your replies!

I had forgotten that I could find superscript characters with a regular search for text formatting. The reason I was wondering about the grep code was because I was wanting to create a grep style in a paragraph style that would automatically grab all superscript characters and format them with a character style. I suppose that I could just do this formatting in the Find/Change dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find > Basic Character > Superscript

Change to > Character Style > NameOfYourCharStyle

Unless it's a Footnote. You can apply a Character Style in Footnote Options directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GREP styles would not have worked here anyway. You can only include characters to match in a GREP style, no formatting.

(One possible way to make it work with a GREP style would be to replace all faux superscripts with actual Unicode superscript characters - but there are very few fonts that do have 'em, even only for numbers.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I get what you are saying. For some reason I was thinking that the superscript characters were characters of their own and not just regular characters with the “superscript” formatting applied.

Thanks all for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines