• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hello! I import Illustrator files into After Effects, and I lose resolution no matter what I do. (And yes the 'continuously raster' is ticked)

Engaged ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

so we have established that you like the way it looks in Ae, but not the video, correct?

as for the video: as I said, your exports do not match your Ae composition in relation to resolution. in Ae you are at HD 1920X1080 and the file you uploaded was less than that. you have to fix this first.

after you export your HD video, import it to Ae and set it side by side your Ae composition and compare. does it look different? how exactly? show us.

the comparison you showed before is irrelevant because yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we need to see your setup in Ae: show us your Ae interface with the composition viewer set to 100% and an illustrator layer in the timeline set to continuously rasterize so we can determine the is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 3.58.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 3.59.22 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

everything looks sharp to me. what seems to be the problem? I don't see any resolution loss in Ae. is it just the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see it if you zoom in. And yes, it's worse in the render no matter what settings I use.

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 4.34.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see it if you zoom in.

of course because these are pixels. Ae's final step is always pixels. in illustrator you can zoom inside the interface because it's all vector. Ae is different. anything above 100% will always be pixelated because these are pixels. as long as you are seeing it sharp and clear in Ae at 100% than this is what you should see on the rendered video.

I see your video is not an HD video

if you want better resolution you should render your video as at least HD1080. I see your composition is HD so I am not really sure what is your workflow process. also, if you want better quality for your video you can try increasing your bit-rate. choose a match source - high bitrate preset in Adobe Media encoder and this should be fine.

what are your render settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 5.06.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HD1080 does not appear to be an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the settings in AME look correct. the composition that is supposed to be encoded here is different the the file you uploaded in the last link: Ani1216e.mp4 - Google Drive

but both files you uploaded were different on resolution (smaller). anyways, I don't see any problem other than that. your Ae interface shows the artwork in full resolution sharp and clear, and the preset your are using in AME looks fine. (match source - high bit-rate) render your video at the same preset and when viewed on 100% it will be sharp other than a bit of image degradation that is always there when compressing a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? I don't like how it looks at all. It loses so much from the original illustrator file. There's no way to get it to look better? I never see this much blurriness in pro animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so we have established that you like the way it looks in Ae, but not the video, correct?

as for the video: as I said, your exports do not match your Ae composition in relation to resolution. in Ae you are at HD 1920X1080 and the file you uploaded was less than that. you have to fix this first.

after you export your HD video, import it to Ae and set it side by side your Ae composition and compare. does it look different? how exactly? show us.

the comparison you showed before is irrelevant because you are comparing a vector software to a pixel software that is magnified.

in case you are not satisfied with the result you are seeing in Ae, then another thing to consider: If you are using Illustrator for video you should have the pixel preview turned on and snap to pixel enabled so things will line up in AE. this way you will get as pixel perfect as you can. there's also a shortcut for setting artwork to pixel perfect in the latest illustrator: Create pixel-perfect art in Illustrator

see this specific post about things to consider when preparing illustrator art for video: Re: Illustrator files appearing not as sharp in after effects? tried multiple settings still not fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ani1216e.mp4 - Google Drive You did it!! Thank you so much! Great job.
I'll be back with more things I'm not doing right in the future
Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very helpful! I'm re-rendering my last big project right now.
Yes I probably have too many windows open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(That's strange. That render looks great on my Macbook but the link looks bad??)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(That's strange. That render looks great on my Macbook but the link looks bad??)

do you mean the google drive youtube player? it gives you the quality based on your internet connection, check that it's full

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines