Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newbie - Linking to a specific topic

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2008 Aug 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just got RoboHelp 7 today and a bit lost. Here is my issue. I'm an App Dev Project manager. I came onto a project that has an application that links to a RoboHelp project. All links within the application send the user to the default.htm. Which is nice because you have the search tool and the left side navigation pane. However, inside of our application we have help links that appear to be very specific to a topic, yet when you click on the link you get the default page. We can create links right to a specific htm page from our application, but when we do that we only get the topic and none of the nice features that Robo help adds, like the navigation pane. What I'd like to do, is create a link that takes a user to the help files with the appearance that you get when you go to the default page, but instead of sending them to the default page, send them to a specific help file.

Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction? Should we use bookmarks in Robohelp? If so, how do we link to them.

Thank you so much (in advance)!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 01, 2008 Aug 01, 2008
Thank you all so much for the assistance.

The answer to my problem, in case anyone comes across this in the future, can be found here;

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/calling_webhelp.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well hello to you too!!!!

what's up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry I hit submit to quick, I just updated the question. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would I use Map Ids? Bookmarks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that Map Ids is a bit more robust than I need. I just need to have a url link to a specific html page within the help project, while maintaining the same look/feel as we get by going to the default site.

Should I be looking at hotspots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so much for the assistance.

The answer to my problem, in case anyone comes across this in the future, can be found here;

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/calling_webhelp.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2008 Aug 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The article here

http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_urls.htm

is all in terms of webhelp. Would the same method of using URLs also work for flashhelp? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2008 Aug 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but not down to bookmark level.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't working for me. The URL of the base help page is:

file:///C:/makana/kahuna/help/Motivator/!SSL!/WebHelp/Motivator.htm

and in trying to follow the instructions in the web article, I changed it to:

file:///C:/makana/kahuna/help/Motivator/!SSL!/WebHelp/Motivator.htm?#path/Alignment_Best_Practices.htm

where Alignment_Best_Practices.htm is one of the other pages in the !SSL!/WebHelp folder. This makes a File Not Found error. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try with just the # symbol and not the query as well.

Also in the browser go File | Open and point to the start page. Copy the address to a text file and close the browser, or just that tab.

Add the CSH stuff to the link in the text file and then paste it back into the browser.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Try with just the # symbol and not the query as well.

That worked. Thanks a lot for the help.

What's the difference between the URLs with ?# and ??# and just #
Is there a time we should be using one versus the other?

By the way in response to my earlier question on this thread, it does seem like the bookmarks also work for flashhelp, once I got the URL syntax right.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2008 Aug 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I believe the reason our developer used those different symbol combinations was because a second CSH call when the first was still open did not work if the same symbol was used.

Just # is the normal. Only use the others if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp