• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beginner needs help configuring drives

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several months, I have bought parts for a new PC build. It is my first new desktop in years. I have gotten heavily into drones and now need to learn Premiere. Hopefully I didn't screw up too much picking my parts. I am still unsure how to setup my storage for best performance though. I would appreciate any advice about how to setup my drives as well as how to allocate them to Primere's needs for best performance.

Here is the list of parts I have purchased, I will be starting my build next week.

Intel I7 6850K

Asus Strix GTX1080 OC

Fractal Design Define R5

EVGA 850 G2 Gold +

G.Skill Trident Z 32G

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1 TB

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500 GB

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

WD Black 5 TB

Asus X99 Deluxe II

Noctua NH-D15S

Windows 10

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm sure that after a few months of using Premiere this would seem like a dumb question, but as a noob, it is the only info I am confused about before my build (I think, lol).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

bill has done limited testing and shown it to work. if you were working with large enough bitrate media to actually need an isolated m.2 drive, 1tb probably wouldn't be large enough. depending what you plan on doing with the second 1tb 960 evo, you might consider keeping and using the 1tb 850 evo instead, to keep more pcie expansion slots and options open.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will not claim it the "best" setup, but My computer i7-4930k July 2014 reply #6 for my hardware list in https://forums.adobe.com/message/6536849 works well for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if everything fits, you could use the 960 evo 1tb for everything (os/apps/cache/projects/media) and return the other ssd's. use the 5tb hdd to archive finished projects, other backups, and misc storage. if you need more space, then split up the drives as you wish, just keep media files on one of the m.2 drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're saying these new m.2 EVO drives are fast enough that there is no need to split off the different Premiere processes? If so, I may just return the 500gb and 850 1tb, and get another 960 EVO 1TB, and combine the two 960 evos into one 2TB C:. Do you see any issues with this logic? I would love for it to be this simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bill has done limited testing and shown it to work. if you were working with large enough bitrate media to actually need an isolated m.2 drive, 1tb probably wouldn't be large enough. depending what you plan on doing with the second 1tb 960 evo, you might consider keeping and using the 1tb 850 evo instead, to keep more pcie expansion slots and options open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I'm shooting some 4K from a DJI Mavic and Phantom 4 Pro. At this time, I'm amateur only and don't plan on going with the higher bitrate Inspire 2 unless things change a lot. I don't have any plans for a second GPU and have heard the TB3 board that comes with the MB is not very reliable. Seems like using both the m.2 1tb drives could really be the ticket along with the 5tb WD drive for archive. I can always add additional 5tb drives or external storage if necessary.

edit:

After more thought, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. The 850 EVO 1TB is plenty fast and large for a C:. The 960 EVO 1TB will be plenty for Premiere for now. That leaves additional m.2 expansion avaliable for future needs; need more space, m.2 comes down in price, etc. My needs are bound to change once I get more advanced. Thanks again, very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines