• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC will not let me edit documents anymore!?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the Acrobat Reader DC I purchased for four days now. Each time I have logged into my computer to work it has become progressively harder to make edits. Usually it just doesn't let me for a while then suddenly will. Last few times I just quit Adobe and restarted it and that worked. Now nothing works. I have restarted my computer and everything else I could think of. When I click edit document it says I need to download Adobe Acrobat DC. Already have. This is litterally the most important document of my life so far...No Exaggeration. Would love some help. I have a Mac Book Air! Thanks and Merry Christmas.

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response,

if I select file and print or control+p i do not get an option to choose to print adobe pdf. Is there something I am missing. Seems as though even though I purchased adobe acrobat pro dc, downloaded it and have been using it it thinks now that I haven't. It acts like reader even though it says DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chances are that you have both the free Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat DC installed on the same system, and your files are opening in the free Reader. Make sure that you open your PDF files in Acrobat - Reader will not allow you to edit them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank Karl,

It acts as though it is just reader, but it says and very definitely is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. The problem was progressive. When It first began to happen it would be just for a few minutes. Strangely the fix a couple time was clicking the blue arrow int the tool bar "Selection tool for text and Images" That doesn't work anymore. Now it is just locked up. I cant put the cursor in the text, but if I try to edit I just get annoying noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is odd... I have both Reader and Acrobat installed on my Mac without a problem. Is it possible that the document you are trying to edit is protected with a security password?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karl,

No password needed. I successfully worked on the document for 4 days. The problem started on day two and was easily resolved although i wasn't sure how I resolved it. Day 3 it got worse and took a long time to resolve but toggling between text select and the little hand to drag the document around seemed to do it. Day 4.....although I open Acrobat Pro....it fails to recognize that I have pro. Only acts like reader. I have quit acrobat, shut my computer, tried everything imaginable to no avail. I was really liking the product until it failed catastrophically. Day 6 or 7 here and it does not work. Should I dump it off of my computer and start over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is strange, and I've never heard about something like this before. If this were my computer, I would uninstall, clean as much as possible as far as settings and preferences go, and then re-install. Here are some instructions about how to reset preferences: How to reset Preference settings in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help Karl!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines