• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 / cc conflict?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 questions ... I have both LR5 and cc installed on my iMac ... I've been culling old photos using LR5 ... when I open cc, I see the deleted photos albeit with the exclamation mark (showing they have been deleted) ... why do they show in cc?  Second question ... videos play in cc but not LR5 ... any ideas?

Thx much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Thanks all ... I went ahead and pointed LR cc to the LR5 catalog and did the update ... will use cc from this point forward ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR is a database program not a file manager program. Images are only referenced from where they are store on your drives into the LR database, the catalog file. When you delete images from out side of LR the database has no reference that they were removed. LR 5 uses a different catalog file than LR CC/6 uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be a bit confused ... I understand the database comment and I deleted the files via LR5 ... what I don't understand is the different catalog files?  LRcc see's the images in LR % .. how is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you delete a file from one catalog (LR 5), the other catalog (LR CC) doesn't know the photos have been deleted from the LR 5 catalog.

The catalogs are independent databases, changing one does not cause a change in the other. Because of this, you need to use one catalog only, and that ought to be the LR CC catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I thought LR cc would see and maintain all of the changes made to the LR 5 files ... is that only when it was initially loaded? If so, is there a way to get recent work (that was done in LR 5) to be reflected in LR cc or do I need to do an import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I thought LR cc would see and maintain all of the changes made to the LR 5 files ... is that only when it was initially loaded?

LR CC knows nothing about what you have done in the LR 5 catalog. And vice versa.

If so, is there a way to get recent work (that was done in LR 5) to be reflected in LR cc or do I need to do an import?

You can instruct the LR CC catalog to "read" parts of the LR 5 catalog. In LR 5, select the folders or collections of interest, right-click and select Export This Folder/Collection As Catalog, select a location and give the exported catalog a name, and click on Save. Then open LR CC, and select File->Import from Another Catalog, and then select the LR 5 catalog you exported. This adds the portions of the LR 5 catalog you selected to LR CC. This still doesn't allow the catalog to know about additional work you do in one catalog or the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you installed LR CC 2015 it found your LR 5 catalog, copied it and converted the copy to an LR 6/CC 2015 compatible catalog while leaving the LR 5 catalog in place. At that moment the two catalogs had identical content, but from that time forward they were independent (as described above). In theory, LR should have put up a confirmation dialog before doing that conversion, but maybe you clicked on "Yes" without realizing what it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

arghh ... so the only way to ensure they are identical (again) would be to delete the cc catalog and reinstall?  (I have been using LR5 and only recently installed cc and have not done any 'original imports' to that catalog) ... thx for the info ... did not understand these to be separate catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR CC select File > Open Catalog then point it to the LR 5 catalog that you have been adding images to and doing adjustments on. LR CC will then make a copy of that catalog, Convert that copy of the LR catalog to work with LR CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalogs can only be identical up until the point when you installed and ran Lightroom 6. Lightroom 6 creates an updated copy of your catalog that includes all of the changes made to that point. But any new work that you do in Lightroom 6 will only be in the Lightroom 6 catalog. The Lightroom 5 catalog can still be used by Lightroom 5. But it will be necessary for you to import and work with images in Lightroom 5 as you have always done. I think you will find that it's probably best to just switch to Lightroom 6 because there is no way that you can have identical catalogs in both versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks all ... I went ahead and pointed LR cc to the LR5 catalog and did the update ... will use cc from this point forward ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines