• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC 2015 (6.8) doesn't read the catalog it writes.

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 Pro, trying the trial Lightroom (and Photoshop) CC.  When I try launching Lightroom, either through the shortcut on desktop or through the Creative Cloud/Apps menu, it will  ask me which catalog to use.  I try the default c:/users/(name)/pictures/lightroom Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.  It writes the file in the directory, but it is 0 bytes.  I click 'Open' and am told that that very catalog it just created is not a valid catalog.  If I test the integrity, the brand new file is considered corrupt.  I try repair, I am then told there is an issue reading/writing the file.

My C: drive is named 'OS' so I don't think that's considered a "networked" drive, is it?   I have also tried resetting preferences, redownloading Lightroom, rebooting, etc. and nothing seems to change.  Photoshop CC works just fine. 

Please help or else the money I would have spent on this will go to the Hair Club for Men to replace my torn out tufts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like for some reason LR is having a hard time writing to the folder. Check the permissions on that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wrote to the folder to create the catalog.  I have also changed Adminstrator, System, and my login to have full access to the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the catalog file is zero bytes, the install did NOT write the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then what changes do I need to make to the folder allow the install to write the file? This what permissions I have for the folder:

permissions.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adding the group "everyone" to the security list. I have seen reports where this was helpful on the Macs, maybe too for Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still get a 0 byte catalog file after adding "everyone" and running lightroom as Administrator.  However, I noticed that the security tab has dark and changeable check marks for "Everyone" but light gray/unchangeable checkmarks for the other Group/User names.  Could there be some setting I can set to make the checkmarks dark for the other users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled LR. It now sounds like your install of LR is corrupted in some way..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried uninstall/reinstall, set lightroom (in program files/adobe/adobe lightroom) as 'run as administrator'.  While I get a catalog lock file written in the directory, the catalog remains a 0 byte file that is considered invalid.   I have deleted the 0 byte file and retried running Lightroom but still get that infernal 0 byte catalog.

If you haven't pulled all your hair out yet, then let me have some.    Either that or other ideas would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(Weird replying to myself)

Anyway, I'd like to thank you for your efforts to help me.  Unfortunately, I never could get Lightroom CC to create a valid catalog.  Perhaps it's an obscure bug in SQLite that says the EA in my name refers to a certain sports game software company rumored to have poor practices and thus forbids my usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines