• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Foonotes: two different styles in same document

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyway, in InDesign, to change the color of the line on top of the footnotes?  I would like to make white the line that is on the purple background, but keep the black for the rest of the document.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

footnotes settings are valid for the whole document, therefore the separator line it will always be the same in the document.

however you could uncheck the rules on in the footnotes option panel and:

- create one paragraph style with paragraph rule above for the first footnotes and choose white colour

- create second paragraph style with paragraph rule above for the first footnotes and choose black colour

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but when I  create one paragraph style with paragraph rule above for the first footnotes and choose white colour, I get a line on top of each footnote, instead of one line at the top. See below. After a chat with adobe late last thinght, they said "it is no possible". So, I will change my design, or create an a box with the same background color, and add a white line on top, and put it to cover the black line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have written to create the paragraph style with the rule above only for the first footnotes.

All other footnotes will naturally have one other paragraph style without rule above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show an entire page with what you wanted?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is this, more or less, what you would to get?

Schermata 2016-12-28 alle 16.01.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, how did you make the line ONLY on the top of the first footnote?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, so I need two different paragaph styles (one with the line, one with no lines)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rosana,

I don't like to discourage you from trying out what Obi-wan suggested.

It's a really good solution!

Some details you are missing perhaps:

Blending mode is "Screen" (from my German UI this is "Negativ Multiplizieren").
You would apply it to the "Text" when selecting the text frame.

And do not forget to check "Isolate Blending" (German: Füllmeth. isolieren")

Example where "Isolate Blending" is off:

1-TextFrame-selected-Text-Effect-Applied.png

"Isolate Blending" on:

2-TextFrame-selected-Text-Effect-Applied.png

As you might see something's wrong with the text stacked on the dark purple background.

The reason:

The dark purple swatch has 30% K in the mix of CMYK where the overlaying text is "[Black]".

Details here:

3-DETAILS-TextFrame-selected-Text-Effect-Applied.png

What to do, if my dark purple consists of percentages of "[Black]"?

Try a new mix of CMY to substitute the percentages of "[Black]". And set the [Black] to 0%:

4-FindingTheRightBackgroundColor.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe is totally right!

The deal is to play with primary colors combinations except black! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone who reads this topic, the more important is not my answer but the reason it could be a bad way about answering Rosana's question! … So, great thanks to Uwe for his totally relevant explanations!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Uwe and Laubender!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can the same thing be done with RGB mode?

My report will be going to be printed (CMYK) version, and also I need to make and RGB version for PDF (that will need to be tagged to make it accessible) On the RGB version, when I export it as interactive PDF the white text will disappear. See below two screen shots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Screenshots please!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I don't see is a complete double page!

Question : when have you a purple background?

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Humm!

If you want some notes on a purple background, just do it without nothing else!

Sorry, but I really don't understand what you mean!! 

Capture d’écran 2016-12-28 à 17.04.53.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the sample you sent is what I was talking about. Is there another way to get it done without having to create 2 different paragaph Styles premio_oscar describes above? Thanks to all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"ve only one para style for the footnotes!

The trick is that its "black" color automatically becomes "white" if there's a "purple" background!

Nothing else! … or maybe a coffee! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

perfect! That is what I was looking for. How did you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just select the text frames on the master pages and apply an effect to the text! [in French here!]

If "white" background, no effect. If "black", it doesn't work. If other colors, The Force acts!! 

Capture d’écran 2016-12-28 à 17.33.56.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rosana,

what PDF Export setting will you use for producing PDFs that go to the printers?

I hope, its PDF/X4 and not PDF/X-1 or PDF/X-3.

Note: Obi-wan's solution implies effects.

That perhaps is meaning flattening of "transparency" during the export.

At least when using PDF/X-1 and PDF/X-3 presets. And flattening could mean that perhaps some degradation could happen to the shapes of every individual glyph on the page where flattening occurs. Depending on the printing process it would be visible if flattend and non-flattened pages are visible next to each other. Especially with text point sizes in the lower range.

Hi Obi-wan,

another important note:

Only test this with Separation Preview or Overprint Preview set to: On.

Depending on both colors used, the one for the text, the other one for the background, you could run into some problems: The background color should not contain any black, if the text color does!

Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could create two paragraph style for white and two paragraph style for black (it is always better create all paragraph style)

...or set up the colour of rule "text colour"

Schermata 2016-12-28 alle 16.47.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you work in a book file indb in separate documents indd you can make a different design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines