• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does one create a duplicate copy in lightroom? (Not Virtual) Tired of moving to PS to only copy a file.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one create a duplicate copy (Not Virtual) in light Room? Seems moving to PS and bringing back just to copy a file is clunky to say the least. 

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DF,

I would think that the process is clunky because there's no need for doing that. What can you gain in Lightroom by having a real copy, that you can't do with a virtual copy?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I use Lightroom is that I import all of my master images from my camera and do all of my adjustments using Lightroom. Occasionally it will be necessary to go to Photoshop, but that isn't very often anymore. If I need a copy of the file for e-mail or to post on a website then I will export a copy suitable for it's purpose. Once it has been used it is deleted. Personally, I don't see a need to have a copy of an image. If the master file is changed for some reason then it's necessary to export another copy in order to have it look the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but doesn't address the issue. I use PS a lot for layers, blending, removing objects with "content aware" which LR simply is not up to plus many other things. My work flow doesn't lend itself to virtual copies other then for soft proofing prior to printing. I like a separate file for my B&W conversions which I do from a optimized color file. Since I use NIK Collection for most of my B&W its not a problem as I get a copy back. Its is a problem when I use LR to do a conversion as I get the virtual copy or my master file is converted.

Don't know what the deal is to have a duplicate file choice in LR as in PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just EXPORT the file and tell Lightroom to "Add this to Catalog" in the export dialog.    For my own interest, why do you need a second physical copy of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Somrak wrote:

Just EXPORT the file and tell Lightroom to "Add this to Catalog" in the export dialog. For my own interest, why do you need a second physical copy of the file.

And, under File Settings, be sure to pick "Original".  Then anything you've done in Lightroom will be ignored.  You get an "original", exact duplicate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export a RAW as "Original" an XMP file is saved also so when Lightroom automatically reimports this file it will reflect the develop settings of photo that was exported.  After import you need to do a RESET to get back to Lightroom defaults.  This whole workflow should not be necessary in Lightroom though if you use the Lightroom tools and capabilities properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Somrak wrote:

When you export a RAW as "Original" an XMP file is saved also so when Lightroom automatically reimports this file it will reflect the develop settings of photo that was exported. After import you need to do a RESET to get back to Lightroom defaults. ..

Didn't know that.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Why I need copies at times is do to my workflow. Have used PS from its start so I am used to using folders for subject, day/date year, and variations such as B&W. Just in the last year started Light Room which I like for initial editing and printing. Since I do a lot of B&W I keep separate folder by subject for converted RAW files. At 35k plus of files I would not want to search through all my color work to find the B&W virtual copies. It is easier to just go to the B&W folder of the subject and pull it up. Since I also use NIK Collection for editing, most of the times making a copy isn't a issue because of the export edit mode. However when I want to just do a conversion in LR to B&W, I have to sent it first to PS to make a duplicate then bring it back. Seems to me a no brainer to just add "copy file" to LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At 35k plus of files I would not want to search through all my color work to find the B&W virtual copies.

In Lightroom it is EXTREMELY simple to filter out the color photos to find the B&W virtual copies. In the filter bar or in a smart collection, set the condition of the filter or smart collection to search for Treatment=B&W (and then save the filter or smart collection for future use)

Furthermore, in Lightroom you can assign any metadata you want to help your find the photos.

It is easier to just go to the B&W folder of the subject and pull it up.

I disagree. It's extra work to create all these B&W folders and move your B&W into those folders.

My work flow doesn't lend itself to virtual copies

Everything you have said so far indicates to me that your workflow is PERFECT for virtual copies. Nothing you have said rules out virtual copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate your guidance however since I started in Bridge many years ago I have everything organized by folders by color work and by B&W. I just go to the folder and pull up the images I want with no other search commands needed. I understand it is easy to pull up virtual copies with the search features in LR however using these files off line on my I Pad (Foliobook) or in a standalone slide show (Fotmagico) calls for jpegs or tif files not virtual copies. I am a CC member so I know I can use LR on the I Pad but then I need to mess with collections which adds another layer of complexity. I will just use PS to copy when I need to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

however using these files off line on my I Pad (Foliobook) or in a standalone slide show (Fotmagico) calls for jpegs or tif files not virtual copies.

You have to export the B&W virtual copy in this case, it is no more work than exporting the B&W (real) copy from Lightroom to these other software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtual copies are not always ideal. If I create a virtual copy and then edit in Ps the changes are applied to both the original and virtual copy of the image. Try it, make a virtual copy, open in Ps, make it black and white and save it. Both the original and virtual copies are now black and white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to a very old thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same issue which you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information including system information, a complete description of the problem and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

In the unlikely event the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy enough (though not clear why)... you can create a second copy at the finder level, change the file name  (add a .2) and import it where you want it to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines