• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My GTX480 only occasionally works with Adobe Premiere Creative Cloud. What should I replace it with?

Participant ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

More often than not when I open an existing Adobe Premiere CC file the Mercury Playback Engine is not working.  I'm using an old GTX480 card.

What would be a good choice to replace that card -- that will fit in the same type slot in my tower.

This is a link to the GTX480 on Amazon -- it's what I purchased back in 2010.  It includes a photo of the hardware so you can see what kind of slot it needs to fit in.

Thanks!  Trying to finish a project and am weary of the occasional non availabilty of the Mercury Playback Engine.

BTW I have a Cooler Master power supply  1000watt

I'm primarily editing for the web.  No blockbuster wide screen motion pictures For Your Oscar Consideration.

Update:  Since I posted this question, I am looking at this:  EVGA GeForce GTX780

Further update:  I looked at the specs of my motherboard.  It says it has PCIe 2.0 x16 slots  I assume that limits my options?  Or is there a 2.0 to 3.0 adapter I can use??  My current motherboard specs from Amazon

Rowby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need more info on the rest of your rig. If it is as antiquated as that 480, buying a newer card may be futile. What version of PPro are you using ? If it is the current version of CC you may be just too far away from the old hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at a GTX 1060 like my reasonably priced EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR.  It may be a slight overkill hardware wise but since you are putting it in a PCIe 2 slot it will give you better performance than you now have and it will give you full performance later if you upgrade the motherboard eventually.  There is no such thing as a PCIe 3 upgrade adapter.  You do not want to be buying an antique when you can get a current GPU for less money and of course much longer lifetime.  It will also use less power than your GTX 480.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your comments.  Looking back on my 2010 Adobe Hardware Forum posts, you (and Harm) were two key players in helping me build my (then!) cutting edge (now antique!) Premiere Editing Monster.

Because I am facing a deadline and after doing some quick checks I went ahead before your post -- and purchased a GTX780 via amazon page.

I figured it was worth taking a chance and see what happens.  I do see GTX780 on the Recommended hardware list for Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017.

It's not shipping from Amazon until tomorrow Tuesday and will arrive Wednesday. So unless you or JFPhoton see a fatal issue with the GTX780 I'm going to plug it in and cross my fingers!  And of course will report back here.

Rowby

System Information

System Information report written at: 12/26/16 19:23:06

[System Summary]

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Process

or(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1501, 5/10/2011

SMBIOS Version 2.5

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 24.0 GB

Available Physical Memory 20.9 GB

Total Virtual Memory 48.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 44.7 GB

Page File Space 24.0 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Now that I understand that the recommended hardware page is not "updated" I'm taking another look at your suggestion to consider a GTX 1060 -- Here it is on Amazon EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR.  I like that it has 6Gigs.  I do need HDMI for my monitor.

Your thoughts?  For Premiere CC.

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you want something that fast, you should cancel that order and get a gtx 1060 6gb for a similar price.

while your gtx 480 is working, you can look at how much premier is using it with gpu-z.  if you only need to replace it with something similar in performance, you can look at something used like the gtx 760 or 950 and up, or new like the gtx 1050 or amd rx 460. if you want something new and faster, the rx 470/480 or the gtx 1060 are the next step up.

* video cards with 2-3gb of memory would only be good for HD/1080p timelines. 4-8gb for 4k timelines.

* an update to premiere removed compatibility with older gtx's like the 400's and possibly the 600 series. it should be possible to use an older version of premiere with the video card you have now.

* a newer pcie gen 3.0 video card will be backwards compatible with gen 2.0 slots on the motherboard. no adapter needed, the physical connections are the same.

* if you have any software/plugins that require cuda, then you will need a nvidia card and avoid the amd video cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ronin,

Thanks for stepping in.  This thread will be helpful not only to me -- but to others with the 480 and looking for their options.

Attached is the results of the gpu tester.

I see this MSI GAMING Radeon RX 470 GDDR5 4GB CrossFire FinFET  card on amazon  (3 GB)

Also this 480 MSI GAMING Radeon RX 480 GDDR5 4GB CrossFire VR Ready FinFET DirectX 12 Graphics Card ...

And this GTX 1060 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G (GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD)   This 6G card would be my preference.

Reminder I have a I have a Cooler Master power supply  1000watt 

Your thoughts?   Thanks!

system.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in gpu-z you have to click on the "sensors" tab, and watch "gpu load" to see gpu usage %. that will help you figure out how much premiere or any other software is actually using the video card.

if you just want a good value buy, chances are the rx 470 would be plenty of performance to replace the gtx 480 in premiere. there are several options for the rx 470 4gb around $175-195. the links you have for the rx 470 and 480 to the msi armor cards aren't necessarily good buys as the armor cards are more entry level cards and the msi gaming x versions are better and currently cheaper on amazon. if you do pick a rx 480 4gb, i would stick with the asus dual fan card (its the white card).

if you want the gtx 1060 6gb, that gigabyte card you have linked looks like a decent price at close to $260. twin fans should help it be slightly quieter than single fan design. i think it also has a silent mode where the fans will turn off when the temps aren't high enough (good for quiet but also extends the lifespan of the fans). it doesn't appear to have as high of a gpu boost speed as some of the other cards like the evga single fans around the same price, but it might be possible to overclock it to a similar speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoninEdits,

I'm going for the  gtx 1060 6gb card,  I've been checking lots of reviews and some YouTube reviews and I think it's the best way to go to put some life into my tower.  I double checked the physical measurements and I have room for the card.

It becomes available on Amazon on Thursday so I'm hoping they ship it right away.

I'll report back here the results!  BTW here is my GPU tab:

gpu-load.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by youtube reviews, i take it you are looking at gaming reviews... the gtx 1060 6gb and RX 480 8gb are very similar and both good options for games. nvidia has a few unique game features (GameWorks) they offer as a way to build a "walled garden" and lock consumers into buying nvidia cards, but also forces consumers into upgrading more frequently to get those new features and by dropping tech in old cards (like you are having to do now with premiere). amd has been working to combat nvidia's gameworks with open software tools and by working with microsoft to push forward new tech with directx 12, so odds are the rx 480 will be the better investment down the road. either way, if its for gaming you should look up current/recent benchmarks for the game(s) you want to play to help pick which card is going perform better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoninEdits

Yes, I see all of the game reviews on YouTube.  And indeed Amazon's reviews are mostly game reviews.

But I never play any games.  Not even solitaire.

Good that AMD is looking to open up Nvida's stranglehold on the video card market.

In any case I am looking forward to my new GeForce GTX 1060 (which Amazon informs me won't arrive until Tuesday Jan 3.  (I hoped to play with it over the New Years weekend.  Oh well!!

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if this video card is only for premiere then i don't agree with the gtx 1060 as it costs about 50% to 100% more than needed, on a fast video card that will likely have zero performance gains. the cpu in your computer will be most important for premiere and a faster video card won't change that. its more likely a new $110-150 video card or used $60-100 video card will be a much better match for premiere. if you plan on upgrading to a new computer in a year or two, then the gtx 1060 might make some sense, but would depend on the new computer's specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about After Effects.  Would the GTX 1060 be good for After Effects?

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

currently after effects uses very little of the video card. if you use gpu ray-tracing you will need an older nvidia card like the 700 or 900 series to work out of the box. i think a new gtx 1000 series card might work with ray-tracing by a manual work-around, but i cannot confirm. if you have any gpu intense plugins for AE, then you would need to check compatibility (supported nvidia vs amd) and which gpu they recommend for performance with your computer's specs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Well after effects isn't a big concern, but was wondering....   I mainly work in Premiere CC.

In any case, looking at Amazon for the other GTX level cards that are on the Premiere OK List the only ones I find are from 3rd party sellers who have vague January delivery dates.

And I really need to get this project finished asap.  According to Amazon there is still a possibility that the GeForce GTX 1060 will be delivered on Friday.

I didn't look at any of the cards from the OK list other than the GTX type card, since I am upgrading from a GTX card and feel safer doing that with my ancient ASUS motherboard.

Anyway I'm heading to dreamland now (I'm in California)..  And will double check things in the morning.

Thanks for your help -- and for everyone's help.  (Just found out about Harm this evening.  He was one of our Adobe Hardware Forum Heroes. RIP.)

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe's hardware requirement list is outdated. they only list video cards they have tested, but they have stopped testing/certifying new cards. many folks here on the forums have been using the gtx 900 and 1000 series just fine. if you want to stick with nvidia, the gtx 1050 at $120 would be a decent card to replace the gtx 480, or the 1050 Ti 4gb at $150 is slightly faster and has 4gb of ram for some breathing room down the road.

if you need to finish a project asap, you can change the mercury playback engine to software. it might not be as fast, but it should allow premiere to work. or if you just started the project you could install an older version of premiere that will work with the gtx 480 and start the project over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoninEdits

So I can use this EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING, 4GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) (04G-P4-6253-KR)  and it should work with Premiere Creative Cloud (and Amazon  says they can deliver it to me tomorrow.

Or this two fan version with GDDR5 and PCIE x 16   Some nice Amazon "gamer" reviews on this one.   BTW I do need HDMI to connect to my monitor.

Here's a whole page of the GTX 1050 TC cards  Any preferences?   ALL 4GB.

Here's one recommended by Bill EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 06G-P4-6163-KR 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SC ACX ...- more expensive but what do you think?    6GB!

And yes, I could do this short (length-wise) project in CS6 -- if I order a card hat won't arrive sometime in Jan.  I just now made Premiere CS6 available on my computer via CC.  Thanks for reminding me I could do that.

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should be able to install and use something more recent like premiere cc 2014... i think it was cc 2015 that removed older gtx cards compatibility.

for the gtx 1050 ti cards, i would try to stick around $150 or less. after that the prices are too close to the faster amd rx 470 at $175. the gtx 1050 ti cards don't need a big fancy two fan cooler as it uses less power and produces less heat.

the card bill has is a nice entry level gtx 1060 6gb card at around $260. i still think its overkill based on the information you have provided about your computer and usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I still like it that Bill's x 1060 6gb card has 6GB.   If it will help make my timeline and experts render faster I'd like to have that 6GB. Going from my current GTX480 card's measly 1536 MB of DDR5 to 6GB sounds tempting!

Found it EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 06G-P4-6161-KR, 6GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXO... a little cheaper at Newegg.  There appears to be a few subtle differences of the 6GM at Newegg....

Some of the Gamer reviews on Newegg recommend this 2 fan version:

Decisions decisions!

???

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, its mostly the cpu that determines how premiere will perform. the extra speed and memory of the gtx 1060 6gb will just idle more often, waiting on your cpu. the 4gb on the 1050 ti and amd video cards would have enough memory to attempt 4k, but i doubt the cpu would handle it well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoninEdits,

So you strongly  feel that 6GB is not even reachable with that card considering the rest of m hardware..........

BTW I added the 480 to the Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 program file (running notepad as Administrator andto that folder and adding and saving it)  And now CS6 is accepting my 480 card for Mercury Playback -- so I can finish my project if there is a delay in delivery of my card.

Based on your comments I am re-reviewing my gtx 1050 ti card options again.

I have just now cancelled my order from Amazon for the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G (GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD)

Perhaps Bill will step in and give us his comments, since the EVGA 06G-P4-6163-KR 6gb card is apparently what he's using...  Although in his comments he did say it might be overkill for my current usage / configuration.

Because I can use CS6 Premiere for my current project, I am in less rush to order the upgrade card. Again this thread may help others stuck with a GTX 480 card that will not activate the Mercury Playback Engine with Premiere CC 2017

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can use two overclocked GTX 1060 cards with my 8-core i7-5960x overclocked to 4.5GHz and gain additional performance with the PPBM GPU accelerated MPEG2-DVD performance improves from 19 seconds (one GPU) to 11 seconds (two GPU's).   While it may be overkill now it will have a long lifetime if you ever upgrade.

Also I have CS6 up through CC2017 running with the GTX 1060

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Are you using GTX 1060 cards with 3GB or 6GB memory?   Perhaps you can give us the exact model??

BTW I have Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Process

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 24.0 GB

Available Physical Memory 20.9 GB

Total Virtual Memory 48.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 44.7 GB

ASUS P6X58D Premium - LGA 1366 - X58 - DDR3 - USB 3.0 SATA 6 Gb/s - ATX Motherboard

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My GTX 1060 is an EVGA 06G-P4-6153-KR 6 GB factory Superclocked which GPUz says the Memory Clock is 2002 MHz but when you actually run any CUDA application on the sensors TAB the Memory Clock actually falls  back to 1900 MHz.  I further overclock it to 2500 MHz and again with a CUDA application like Premiere actually is 2400 MHz which is a virtual 9600 MHz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill

Can you tell me which of these cards comes closest to your factory overclocked card.   Amazon link.  They appear to be "subtle" variations of your card. 

BTW I see a few of them are listed as "Out of Stock".

Thanks

Rowby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines