Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restoring full size previews

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

Would be super grateful for some help on this! I have a Mac and basically imported some of my camera files into 'Photos'. I then deleted these images from my camera and, thinking I had already imported them into Lightroom, deleted them from 'Photos' too (and even selected 'Delete All' from the 'Recently Deleted' folder). Thankfully (ish) I realised my mistake straight away and pressed Ctrl+Z to undo immediately and they reappeared (though I don't know if the damage by this point was already done). I then imported them into Lightroom and they appeared in a folder with a ? next to it, which did not allow me to edit the images. After some googling I used the Lightroom script to 'Restore Presets' and all of the images are now available for me to edit, HOWEVER, only about half of them were resurrected as full size (and good quality):

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.50.39.png

The rest of them appear small (but in decent enough quality at that size), but the moment I try to zoom or increase their size, they become heavily pixelated:

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.52.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.52.59.png

Is there any way that I can restore the smaller preview images so as to make them larger and still good quality?

I would be so grateful for any guidance on this (even if the answer is sadly in the negative).

Many thanks (and merry Christmas)!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Barring any kind of data recovery tools, I'm out of ideas, but the reason you did not see the .photoslibrary extension is that you really should checkmark "Show all filename extensions" in the Finder Preferences.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 5.06.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't answer that, but if you have no Time Machine backup, I'd recommend "Disk Drill Media Recovery" from the Mac App Store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - sadly no Time Machine back up... Disk Drill Media Recovery seems rather expensive considering I don't know what it does or whether it will work. Do you/anyone have any other ideas please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previews of the files that you see in the Library module are JPG files that are used for fast viewing. They come in different sizes. The big ones are only generated if/when LR needs it. This is why you have some "quality" previews and not others.

To do anything useful, you need the original files back. You can do an internet search for "undelete files mac" to see what options are available.

There are some LR plug-ins you can use to pull the images out of the previews. This has varying rates of success based on what previews you actually have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loo for a folder (it actually appears as a File) that ends with .photoslibrary as the extension. Right click on that file and select "Show Package Contents". That will open that package folder and list a whole bunch of other Folders. Look for one called Masters. In the Masters folder you will find your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks and sorry - where do I look for this folder? Do I just search for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can search for it but the Default settings for Finder and OS X might not show it because it is treated as a System Folder and OS X is set to not show system folders.

It is in your Pictures folder under your User Name folder in a folder called Users in the Root of the Macintosh HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - it didn't show when I searched for it as you suggested it might not, as for my 'Pictures' folder, there is no User Name or Users folder - could you possibly suggest where else I could search for this file/folder please? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in your Pictures folder. This is the file. Right-click and select Show Package Contents.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 9.16.47 AM.png

The Finder then shows you this, and the Masters folder is what you want.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 9.21.16 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Mine didn't have the .photoslibrary which is why I didn't locate it before, however that folder only contains (folders containing) the good, full size preview images that I have, and none of the smaller pixelated ones I'd like to resurrect is there anything else I can try? Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barring any kind of data recovery tools, I'm out of ideas, but the reason you did not see the .photoslibrary extension is that you really should checkmark "Show all filename extensions" in the Finder Preferences.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 5.06.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok I will do that, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines