• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Out of solutions to E_STREAM_ERROR problem

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2013 Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been searching the forum (and the internet as a whole) for a solution to my problem and, so far, no luck.

I have repeatedly tried to download .acsm files from the ebrary website and each time receive the following error message:

"Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem: E_STREAM_ERROR"

Solutions I have tried:

Replacing ADE 2.0 with ADE 1.7.2 (received the same message)

Using Internet Explorer instead of Google Chrome

Disabling all firewalls

Deauthorizing and Reauthorizing account in ADE

Uninstalling and reinstalling ADE

I am using Windows 7 and running Adobe Digital Editions 2.0, downloading through Google Chrome.  I am doing all of this from Dakar, Senegal, if there is a chance that makes a difference, using internet run off of a USB key.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to have tried the most common things that can cause problems.

One more thing is to double-check that your timezone and time settings are correct,

and if you have any eReader involved that their time settings also agree.

Another possibility is that the site is somehow set up only to process requests from what it considers to be US clients.

In that case you may be stuck, or may (???) be able to go via a US proxy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with openlibrary.org, and I'm in the US. I "borrowed" a book from their library.

I verified my timezone and time settings.

I opened the URLLink.acsm file in File Viewer as HEX (with text), and the file does not appear to be corrupted.  The file is all text, and it all makes sense.

I even deauthorized in ADE, reauthorized without an ID and tried to open the ebook.

This time the error message was "Unable to download    Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem: E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER"

A support person from OpenLibrary.org told me that the original

"Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem: E_STREAM_ERROR:"

was a general error that means that something is blocking communcation with the server.

Yet my trying to open the ebook when authorized without an ID suggests to me that I had established some type of communication with the server.

I can download and read ebooks from other sites, but those sites are free ebooks.

I am using Windows Vista and running Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.1, downloading through Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 25, 2013 Oct 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I even deauthorized in ADE, reauthorized without an ID and tried to open the ebook.

That can be useful for experimenting (as you were), but never run that way long term as you will get endless problems:

books you buy/borrow can't be transferred to another device, and if you ever register properly they can no longer be read at all.

If you use free (nonDRM) books, I suggest the free Calibre as vastly more powerful and helpful than ADE.

You could try 1.7.2. 

1. Don't uninstall V2.0/1, otherwise there is a risk 1.7.2 will try to 'upgrade'.
  2. Install 1.7.2,
  3. deregister (just in case),
  4. reregister with a real Adobe ID
  5. and now try to get at the OpenLibrary book.

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0 (and 2.0.1).  Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

(You can have them both installed at once if you like.)

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice, sjpt.

I installed 1.7.2, but it doesn't allow me to add an acsm file item to the library.  It only allows pdf and epub files to be added to the library.  OpenLibrary uses acsm files for borrowing books.

Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.7.2 (and I think 2.0, not quite sure) can't open .acsm files from the file-open dialog (or whatever it is called).

They should be able to open .acsm files by any of

1. drag drop from Explorer onto a running ADE
  2. associate .acsm files with ADE1.7.2 in Explorer, nd open them that way
  3. run ADE1.7.2 from a command line with the .acsm file as parameter (not very convenient).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragging the file into ADE 1.7.2 "started" downloading the ebook, but quickly gave an error #2038.

Error 2038 is a network IO error.  So, again I turned off my ZoneAlarm software firewall.

This time it downloaded the ebook just fine into ADE 1.7.2  Now I'll go figure out why the firewall or antivirus/malware in ZoneAlarm blocked the download, so that I can let it pass through next time.

Many thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and I use 1.72 and cannot borrow from the local library all of a sudden.  The library help is of no help either.  This seems to be problem Adobe doesn't give a hoot about, after all, they already have the library systems' money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem

Downloaded ADE 1.7.2. and clicked and dragged the acsm file into the new ADE 1.7.2.

Starts to download then up pops E_ADEPT_IO. Anyone any ideas what this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem and tried everything (installing older version 1.7.2, erasing authorisation and reauthorising, disable firewall). Then I discovered that the version of ADE on my PC (2.0) was not the newest. Installing ADE 4.0 solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me.  I've got windows 8.1 and I just installed ADE 4.5.1 - the latest, according to adobe - and I've authorised correctly as far as I can tell - and I get the e_stream_error.  Unfortunately there is nothing on this forum that helps and beyond that adobe is not much help.  The acsm file I am trying to open was emailed to me directly from the publisher.  Seems strange when adobe's proprietary file format can't be opened by it's own software and adobe doesn't seem to provide any help to resolve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got this error as well, and the latest ADE also finally solved it for me.. interestingly enough other readers (Bluefire) also got errors, so I wonder if it uses the same library or something?  This fact delayed me quite a bit in solving the problem, since I assumed that with two programs having the problem, it had to be a server issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All I did to solve this was use a VPN service to change my location to the US. Worked instantly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines