• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Consolidating photo drives with virtual files

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to consolidate several smaller drives in one new 8 TB drive. All the smaller files are catalogued in Lightroom. Is there any way I can move those images to the new drive without losing the virtual files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Virtual Copies will always go together with the master rendering to the new catalog. Just as the master is nothing more than lines of text in the catalog database recording the preferred edit, so each VC is nothing more than a few more lines recording an alternate rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone smarter may have a better suggestion. 

But, if it were me, I would consider creating an new catalog on the new drive.  Then I would use the Import From Catalog choice.  The procedure is commonly documented by or for people taking a small laptop on a trip and returning to home/office and wanting to move the work from the laptop to the primary computer. 

It might be slow if you have a lot of files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not create a new catalog, there is no need to do this. The existing catalog can be used.

To move photos to a different drive and maintain the virtual copies, please follow the instructions in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" of this document: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

In essence, the procedure is:

1. Copy (not move) the photos (using your operating system) to the new drive, keeping folder hierarchy unchanged
  2. Point LR to the new location of the photos using "Update Folder Location" command
  3. When you are 100% sure this has worked properly, use your operating system to delete the originals from the original location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige wrote:

Do not create a new catalog, there is no need to do this. The existing catalog can be used.

My read of the OP was that the existing multiple drives each had a separate catalog.  I was "seeing" three or four catalogs and a desire to combine to one catalog on one new drive.  Perhaps I didn't read well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, the OP isn't clear on this at all. He said:

All the smaller files are catalogued in Lightroom.

Implying the bigger files (???) are not cataloged? Not clear at all ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location of the photo file is also a line of text in the database. When you change the location by doing the moving within LR you are doing two operations: sending a command to the OS to move the photo and updating the location text in the database. Everything else remains the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines