• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2GB file showing as 193GB in Windows - why?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2016 Dec 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two mp4 videos taken at the same time. One is 13 minutes long and 732MB. The other is 39 seconds long and 2 GB in Elements Organiser but 193GB in Windows 10 explorer. I originally opened both in Adobe Elements Premier 10 but did not really manage to do anything through lack of understanding of Premier. Both files show similar frame sizes, data rates etc so I cannot see what is wrong with the 193GB file. It opens and plays in Premier, with occasional short play interruptions. There is no sign of anything after the video. It took over a day to copy or move this file in Windows. Any ideas about what is wrong and how to return it to its original size?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

You can try running the video through the free download Handbrake and see if the converted file has the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MP4s are compressed files and, as with all compressed files, there are a number of ways to compress the video and a number of levels of compression. One 10 minute MP4 could be 4 gigs in size while another the same length might be 500 meg.

Camcorders use a pretty standard compression method and level, and Premiere Elements is designed to interface with that compression. Phones and even GoPro style camcorders also use pretty standard codecs and compression levels.

My guess is that these MP4s are not from a camcorder, in which case they could be using some non-standard methods to reduce their file sizes. One method used by some software (FRAPS, for instance) uses something called a variable frame rate -- which can produce a very small file, which is good for uploading to YouTube but it can give Premiere Elements fits.

What model of camcorder is this video coming from and what resolution is it? If it's not camcorder video, what is the video source for each?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.  I am afraid that these two files were both taken of the same event in the same conditions with the same Sony camcoder.  I am pretty sure the original file was smaller too.  This was about 4 years ago and the camcoder is about 15 years old, I think.  Things are getting a bit vague as I don't have it with me.  I wondered whether it was possible to do something stupid in Photoshop Premier.  But I cannot see anything in that package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screenshot of the file in MediaInfo in treeview here on the forum.

193 gig is ridiculous large.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann - took me  a while to figure this out.  1st file is the ok file, second is the stupidaly large file.

Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In tree view please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry Ann.  How do I do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot+(2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann, Steve

Just got back.

This the screenshot.  The missing bottom line just says "english".

Screenshot (3).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Media Info's View menu and select Tree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann

Sorry this is taking so long.  I am now on holiday for a couple of weeks and am trying to remotely connect to my files, which should be simple but is not working at present.  I will get back to you.  Thanks for your patience.

REgards

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Ann can see something in this report, but I certainly don't see anything that would indicate that this is anything but a standard 39 second MP4.

When you start a new project and you add it as the first clip on your timeline, is there a yellow-orange "render" line above it? Does it play smoothly on that timeline?

Do you have Quicktime installed on your computer, as may be required to edit this type of file?

RenderLine.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve

One thing I noticed is that the bit rate under general is 42.2 Gb/s compared with 12 Mb/s in  the video section.  This compares with about 7 Mb/s in both for the other, slightly shorter, mp4 file taken at the same time.  So I suspect this is the root of the problem.  How do I change that?

I am loading the file into elements to check the render line but it is taking ages, especially as it is on an external storage and is 194Gb!

I'll let know once loaded but I recall loading and playing the video  It was slightly jerky in places but only slightly and seemed to play at the right speed.  It played for the proper duration and there was nothing outside the video portion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder how it ever came to 194 gig.

Camera's dont do this kind of file size or it was captured uncompressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try running the video through the free download Handbrake and see if the converted file has the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that is the million dollar question Ann.  I know it was not this large originally.  I use Photoshop Element Premier but I confess that I have done next to nothing in terms of video editing or combining videos as I have found the whole thing confusing.  Especially as I expected to be able to save say 3 combined and edited videos as one mp4 file instead of a project file.

Anyway, I suspect that whatever caused this is me in editing but I have yet to find how I would change the bitrate in general without knowing whilst not changing the bitrate in video and audio.

I cannot get Premier to open at present so this is going to be one of those stories.  I will try Handbrake.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Ann (and Steve).  No idea still what caused this but used Handbrake, which loaded the 194Gb file very quickly and now have a 53Mb file.  It works and is brilliant.  I am over the moon.

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no idea why I put Steve in brackets there - apologies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines