Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Now What?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I receive when I try to reopen my Lr catalogs: 

The Lightroom catalog named “Does This Go to 20k Lr?” cannot be opened because it is too new to be used by this version of Lightroom. Would you like to select a different catalog?

I am unable to select another because they all give the same message.  The background story is that Adobe told me I had until Jan 20th before being canceling my subscription.  Instead they did it 2 days later.  Now reinstalled after pleading my case and presenting the transcript, I can't open my catalogs and import my thousands of picture to my Lr5 that is still operational.  Can you help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have opened an older version of LR and you are trying to open a catalog made by a newer version.

You probably opened LR 5 and tried to open a LR CC/6 catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

​So you are right. None of my other catalogs open, only the original Lr5

is functional. Is there a solution to this explanation? How do I access

my processed photos into this one functional Lr? Can I buy something to do

what I want?

​Thanks.

Bill​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can buy an upgrade to Lightroom 6 or subscribe to CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom catalogs are not forwards compatible. LR5 does not know what to do with a LR6 catalog.

There is no way to convert a LR6 catalog back into a LR5 catalog.

While any of your old LR5 catalogs can still be used, including any that were previous migrated to a new LR6 catalog, you need LR 6 stand-alone or LR CC 2015 subscription to use the new LR6 catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what I think you are telling me is....

1. All photos in Lr5 are inaccessible to any new Lr 6 (or 7 when it comes out).

2. I'm screwed..... all photos in a Lr5 catalog have no way to be imported out.

All of this began I was told I had until Jan 20th to keep my CC and they cut me off 2 days later.  I had the transcript to back up this understanding.  It seems all my photos (20+k) are inaccessible.

Now that I think of it, even if I had until the 20th, and had transferred all my photos to my active Lr5 edition, I still would be in the same situation.  Still screwed......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Riccobono wrote:

So what I think you are telling me is....

1. All photos in Lr5 are inaccessible to any new Lr 6 (or 7 when it comes out).

2. I'm screwed..... all photos in a Lr5 catalog have no way to be imported out.

All of this began I was told I had until Jan 20th to keep my CC and they cut me off 2 days later. I had the transcript to back up this understanding. It seems all my photos (20+k) are inaccessible.

Now that I think of it, even if I had until the 20th, and had transferred all my photos to my active Lr5 edition, I still would be in the same situation. Still screwed......

No, it is the other way around. LR6 and LR7 can migrate your LR5 catalog to their new catalog format with no trouble. LR5 cannot read the LR6 nor LR7 catalogs. LR6 cannot read the future LR7 catalogs, while LR7 can migrate a LR6 catalog no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you "Should" be able to open LR CC, Go to the Catalog Settings and put a check mark in the option to Auto write changes to XMP. Then Select all the images you imported into LR CC and use Ctrl + s or go to the Metadata menu item then "Save Metadata to File".

That will right all the edits to XMP files for each file and then you can import those same images into the LR 5 catalog, if they are not already in the LR 5 catalog, and once that is done you can then Read metadata from file (a ! should appear on the image denoting something has changed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're going to write to XMP, please know the following:

Some information is never written to XMP. This includes virtual copies, edit sequence history, collections, pick flags and a few other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm checking out and going to sleep........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines