• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive pdf on iPad pro

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exported a Interactive pdf with Buttons cannot be viewed on an iPad pro. The button image is a black screen, has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a solution.  I have had a chat session with Adobe support and they have no answer.  I have reported it as a fault.

I also find that I cannot use hyperlinks within a button.  e.g. page numbers as a hyperlink. the document is a Itinerary therefore hyperlinks are necessary.  Image is a full page image, the only solution I found was to move the button away from the edge where the button is.

Now I've got the problem of being unable to use buttons to view on a iPhone or iPad.

Savi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. iOS readers not support all features of PDF that normally works with Win/OSX. You need to understand this firstly.

2. Than you can download InDesign Magazine as example to see which "navigation" buttons can work in iBooks and Adobe Reader for iOS and than redo your PDFs. https://indesignsecrets.com/issues/trial-issue

3. Or you can use another way - do fixed-epub instead PDF

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't even told us what you're using to view the PDF. There are many iOS PDF readers and many of them are substandard. Even Adobe Reader is not all that great on iOS.

In short, beyond desktops with Acrobat or Reader, interactive PDF is a crapshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using iBooks on the iPad and iPhone to view the pdf. The issue is not that the pdf is not opening, it’s the buttons within interactive pdf. Hyperlinks work.

Even with Acrobat reader the

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, interactive PDF on mobile is a crapshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Interactive PDF on mobile is a crapshot"

Not an acceptable answer. - I'll tell that to my client and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! You don't like the answer so it's unacceptable? 

This discussion is three years old and guess what? The situation is even worse today.

Whether you or your client like it or not is absolutely irrelevant. The facts don't change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, interactive PDFs are a crapshoot...

Any tool claimimg to support PDFs, is referring to the obligated and static WYSIWYG part of a PDF. All extras (e.g. interactive stuff, comments, form fields, etc.) belong to the "FDF" part of a PDF, which are not part of that obligation. So whether or not a PDF viewer supports some or all of these FDF features, is entirely up to the developer of the app...

Apart from the form fields and comments, Adobe gave up on improving these interactive features in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a non Adobe PDF reader doesn't work it's no use reporting the fault to Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iBooks can read Adobe pdf. It’s the interactive elements, buttons don’t work.

Adobe asked me to report the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes most PDF viewers don't support form elements and none are complete like Acrobat. This is the normal state and as a designer you have to decide what this means to interactive PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, therefore teaching collages are suggesting oomph etc. too complicated….

The issue is when the viewer of the pdf may vary in age, the client, therefore it is in my interest to cater for the most uncomplicated application, most aged between 75 and 40.

We need to cater to our demographic, as the world tell us they are getting old. We cannot ignore them, need to find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no interactivity that will work for everyone.... you've just tested in a very small sample. iBooks isn't the default, for web PDFs, so be sure to test in Safari too. Still, avoiding form fields is wise.

Some PDF viewers have no interactivity at all. But commonly they do support internal links. So use internal links instead of form fields. Do not use button form fields. You can however create a regular button image, place it and add a hyperlink over it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exporting as an epub and opening on an iPad in Books works great. At least it did for all the 'Go To Destination' links, I didn't test it for other types of fields/links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines