Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing option for text: vertical alignment buttons

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been using InDesign for quite a while now and I've just realized that a tool is now missing when I click on a .  I had this option before and now I can't fin it anywhere.  It is the tool to adjust where the text is aligned vertically.  There was a top middle and bottom option like what is in the blue circle on the image below found in a tutorial.

menu manquant.PNG

I don't know why it disappeared but mine looks like that now and as you can see on the right the option I'm talking about isn't there.

Capture.PNG

Is there a way to make it come back ?  What is it called and how to make it appear again ?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Your first screen shot is from a table, as Willie said. The second show Character settings for the frame.

You will also see the controls for vertical alignment if you have a text frame selected with the Selection tool if your monitor and/or resolution allows it.

The solutions are:

• Resize your window bigger if possible (sometimes a quarter inch makes a difference)

• Get a bigger monitor

• Disable something else by using the menu circled by Cinzia

• Option + double-click the frame and change it in Tex

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the alignment icons when a text frame is selected with the Selection tool.

Also see rotation icons when selected with the Selection tool. A rotated "T" appears if you rotate the text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those options are only available if you are in the cell of a table in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The icons on the control panel depend on the resolution of the monitor and on the available space in the InDesign window. If you reduce the window, some icons disappear. Probably now there is not enough space to display them all.

However you can customize the Control Panel by the upper right gear icon:

Schermata 2016-01-01 alle 12.17.50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Willi and Cinziamarotta are correct.

The screen capture where you saw the vertical alignment choices was taken when a selection of table cells was selected:

InDesign CC164.png

But you need to the Control Panel menu > Customize. You'll need to turn off some of your options to show it when you're in a paragraph.

In the last CC 2015.4 update, the icons were made a little larger, reducing the number of icons you can see in the Control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your first screen shot is from a table, as Willie said. The second show Character settings for the frame.

You will also see the controls for vertical alignment if you have a text frame selected with the Selection tool if your monitor and/or resolution allows it.

The solutions are:

• Resize your window bigger if possible (sometimes a quarter inch makes a difference)

• Get a bigger monitor

• Disable something else by using the menu circled by Cinzia

• Option + double-click the frame and change it in Text Frame Options

This is new and very annoying! You can put in a feature request / bug report to the InDesign team here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! And once again Steve and I start typing at the same time with the same answer and he is a faster typist than I am!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy New Year, Jane!

But your answer is more thorough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone !!

It was as you said a resolution problem and also the difference in selection Text vs text bloc.  My screen is only 1366X768 I know it's bad...

I find odd that there is no way to access the tools not showing without removing the others.

Anyway thanks again !!  Happy new year to everyone !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines